Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

92 MR2 turbo timing belt/waterpump

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Roman 
#1 ·
does anyone here have any first hand experience with doing a timing belt on a 2nd gen MR2 turbo? if so, please fire away with some advice. is this a motor-out job?

i have minimal experience working on a 2nd gen N/A car, but the turbo platform is new to me and ive owned this car for a whopping 24 hours and im almost certain i lost the timing belt tonight.

i'll know more for sure tomorrow, but for the time being, im trying to gether as much information on the job as possible.

does anyone know FOR CERTAIN if the 3S is a non-interference motor? my research has got me 99% sure it is, but there are a few posts that make me think it may be an interference motor. there were no noises when i lost power tonight. it just shut down.

#4 ·
It is a non interference motor. I own one and work on alot of the locals MR2s. It's not necessary to drop the motor at all. It sucks to do in the car but dropping the motor would take longer. However it is worth considering removing the motor if you want to take care of any other issues you may have. The hoses from hell behind the turbo on the block for example.
There is a stud kit available for the tensioner that makes it easier to do the job in the car and it is available from twosrus.com
MR2OC.com is a great resource and I suggest you read up on the job there. Also contact Aaron or Tracy at Lithia Toyota Parts 1800-888-6305 They will sell you toyota parts at a great price. Just mention the MR2OC

#5 ·
It is a non interference motor. I own one and work on alot of the locals MR2s. It's not necessary to drop the motor at all. It sucks to do in the car but dropping the motor would take longer. However it is worth considering removing the motor if you want to take care of any other issues you may have. The hoses from hell behind the turbo on the block for example.
There is a stud kit available for the tensioner that makes it easier to do the job in the car and it is available from twosrus.com
MR2OC.com is a great resource and I suggest you read up on the job there. Also contact Aaron or Tracy at Lithia Toyota Parts 1800-888-6305 They will sell you toyota parts at a great price. Just mention the MR2OC
I can probably beat their prices. :wink:

#7 · (Edited)
Timing belt - $27.25
Water pump - $102.06
Idler pulley - $91.18

I assume you are referring to the idler with the bracket that the tensioner presses on? If not, the other idler pulley is $42.82.

All the parts are at our PDC, so it will take a day or two to get them in.

#13 ·
Yeah, I've done the T-Belt on my '91 Turbo both with the engine in and out of the car. It was WAY easier with the engine out, but did take longer overall (I think mainly because it was my first time pulling the engine). I think if I have to do it again, I'll just yank the motor, since I now have experience with that process. It involves significantly less swearing, an provides the opportunity to fix or inspect other items while I'm in there.

Nice to know we've got a good MR2 wrench on here.

Roman, I may have to hit you up for some parts myself here in a bit :)

#16 ·
PM'd you with prices.

If anybody needs any factory parts for a Toyota, feel free to hit me up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.