Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

1992 Z32 300ZX LSx swap.

76K views 141 replies 58 participants last post by  alex300zx 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, here it is I guess. I'm still stacking parts but the build is up and running.

I have a 1992 Z32 that used to have a TT swap in it but the previous owner dropped the #6 piston in. I ended up trading my turbo civic for this and a ratty del sol that I daily at the moment.

My plans are to get the LQ4 (300hp/370tq) that I sourced from a 2002 Chevy 2500HD mated to my stock 5 speed from the old TT swap and all that good stuff.

I have the wiring figured out I think...I wired up a separate fuse box and relays to control the ignition power and fuel pump (bypassing the stock fuel controller but keeping the stock TT pump for the time being) I built a small sub harness to plug the truck EFI harness into the Z's chassis harness. I will try and get a simple diagram up soon to show everyone what I am talking about.

Not useful for me but I know there are some other Z guys on here that will use this:

Also, this helped me track down what wires went to the relays/chassis and is the factory diagram for the Z:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/zductiv/VG-EFI.jpg

Here are some of the sites that helped me out immensely with the wiring:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798904&page=3
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/225172
http://www.lt1swap.com/

As far as mounting goes I ordered a set of universal street rod mounts from summit that look like they will do the trick:

Trans-dapt part # 4501

I'm figuring I can cut the legs down and put a plate on the end with a wheel studd so it can kind of act like the old factory Z mounts mounting in the subframe.

I also have picked up a new oil pan so the motor can sit a little lower and farther back:

Moroso 20140 (oil pan)
Moroso 24050 (pickup)
GMPP 12558253

I haven't hammered out the oil filter relocation just quite yet but will update when I do.

As far as my flywheel/clutch issues I have a stock LS1 fly wheel from a F-body Camaro that has the correct bolt pattern for my engine. I am getting it turned down at a machine shop and having the Z's old ring gear installed on it as well as the old dowels and all of the pressure plate mount holes transferred over. I am losing about a 1/4in on each side of contact space for the clutch because of the way the LS1 flywheel has a wider space in the center. (will get reference pics when I can get out to the shop again)

Here's a little teaser of the wiring madness I went through...

Also, a pic of the Z and my old Civic (94_teggyLs here on the boards has it now)

See less See more
#98 ·
very nice. Me, TJ, and my brother just got my tt up and running for the first time in 13 years. Engine sounds good, and runs strong, but the trans is making a noise now. Slight knocking sound at idle and in gear from about 1500-3000 rpm. Believed to be pilot bushing. We'll see if its ready for the IA drift event...

#102 ·
Snapped a pic while reinstalling the radiator fan.

Two of the fittings in the oil filter relocation kit are also leaking so I'm hoping I can get them tidied up. I'm also hoping to finally do a bit of tuning this week if it slows down at work.

The one plus to lots going on at work is cam/coilovers in the near future.

#104 · (Edited)
Finally started tinkering with EFILive a bit. Found out the way a went about getting speed density setup was not the most ideal.

Right now I have the MAF disabled so the ecu is sending me into semi-limp mode and only reading off of the low octane spark maps. Timing between the high/low maps is almost night and day. Just have to get COS3 working with it and it should restore functionality.

I've raised the rev limit to 6200 rpm and also installed a 2bar map for some future fun.

I should have a few logs on Sunday with the WB hooked up.

For giggles shot of where my timing is at atm.

Attachments

#106 ·
I haven't had a real day off in over a month so...not a whole lot of progress has been made.

I have the intake manifold off and am ready to swap the LS6 valley pan/pcv setup in to clean the bay up a little. I'm also hoping to get the hood pins installed on Monday so I can finally have a hood.

My friend took these when he came down from NY for IA:

#111 ·
Not hard at all actually. They aren't tucked under the firewall like I think they are in the F body. If I can ever get the money together I'd like to hit Carma up to build a set of long tubes but thats a ways down the road for me right now. This is my first RWD car so I'd rather get used to it before I start adding power.

#114 ·
what i dont git anys Dame you ben lol needs more mad max

#115 ·
Stopped procrastinating and did a bit of work today, I'm trying to get this thing together so I can daily it for a bit.

LS6 valley pan swap to clean things up a bit in the bay and take care of my PCV stuff.

I forgot how easy it was to unhook stuff and just pull the manfold.

Old cover has no vent. With the new setup the back driver valvecover is plugged.

Shows a little better how the transmission and engine sit next to the firewall and the adapter plate for the transmission.

This is actually the first time I've had the valley cover off and have seen whats underneath, pretty cool stuff.

I didn't have a torque wrench so I had to make a quick run to the shop. My area is an absolute wreck. I snapped a picture of a buddies car that is next on the to do list.

All back together and torqued to spec:

Because people have asked, header clearance on driverside:

#117 ·
You definately do. I need to get the passenger seat mounted. Might have to make a run to Bob's to try and find a set of passenger seat rails. I used the others for the driver seat.

I was going to bite the bullet and get the PCV tube/valve from Chevrolet to keep things clean but $70ish seemed a bit much for something that I was able to put together for around $7.

Not the prettiest but it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.