Remember Me?
Go Back   TennSpeed > TennSpeed Community & Interest > Off Topic

Old 06-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
usafdarkhorse
too many projects
Tennspeed Addict

usafdarkhorse is an unknown quantity at this point
Fresh start: New place, new training, new car
For everyone semi-following me in my Air Force journey, I felt an update was due.

After completing training on the T-6A at Laughlin AFB, TX, I was selected to fly the T44 down in Corpus Christi, TX, at the Navy air station they have there in preparation to fly some variant of the C130, SpecOps C130, or some other unspecified SpecOps aircraft. Before I could even move there, the Navy required us to attend USAF Parachute Water Survival at Pensacola, so on June 13th I got on a plane to Florida for another training TDY.

After being in Del Rio for so long, Pensacola was a breath of fresh air, if not a muggy humid breath of fresh air. The training went fairly smooth save for a few anal SERE instructors that thought we weren't moving fast enough so they could be downing beers by 4pm. Some of the events included getting dragged through the water in your harness both forward and backward, parasailing, setting up a one-man liferaft, and preparing to get hoisted by a helicopter. We flew back EARLY that Friday morning and I had the weekend to pack for Corpus.

I had originally planned on rooming with a buddy, an acquaintance rather, when I got to Corpus. However, after this TDY, I soon realized that I probably couldn't live with (stand) this dude, so I made the decision to get an apartment solo.

I packed up my whole life in a 14ft UHaul, threw the Z on the back of a flatbed trailer, and took off down the road. Lost one of my headlight covers when my car cover decided to whip up off the airdam and over the hood.

Got to Corpus around 10pm, dropped the UHaul off at the hotel, rolled the Z off, and went to go crash at a buddy's house. I inprocessed the next morning and was put into a squadron, annoyed that I didn't get the squadron I wanted, but just happy to be there regardless. The Navy is very odd and does things very differently than the Air Force. The Marines we were with tried to make fun of us, but their jokes didn't make any sense to virtually anyone so they were rather ineffective.

Now the Air Force owes me roughly $2K for the TDY and move, so that will be a nice chunk of change whenever they decide to pay me. I'm currently waiting for people to move out of my new apartment, but it's in a nice area in Corpus and I got a garage to boot.

During the past few months, I had casually listed the Z for sale in a few places with some interest, but nothing serious. Most offers were for trades since no one has money anymore, but someone from Lubbock expressed some interest in the car around late May.
He was trying to sell his worked over later 90s Camaro and said he wanted to go back to a 280Z which was his first car. Fast forward to this past Friday, the guy sold his Camaro and said he'd be here in a week or two to buy the Z, and for a price that I couldn't really refuse.

I will miss the car, but the weather out in Lubbock will keep the car nice for a long time and I feel like it is time to let it go. It's someone else's chance to drive and turn a wrench on the car like I have.
I've been in Corpus for 5 days, and it has rained 3 of them. Driving the 20 miles to work and back in the pouring rain will eventually take its toll on this car, and I need to let someone else enjoy it.

For all of you who knew and had experience with this car while in my and Tony's possession, you know how hard it is to let it go. There's something about this car that transcends its old metal, non-crossflow engine, and obsolete suspension. It's truly greater than the sum of its parts and will always embody the true meaning of a Z, to make its owner feel like every drive was special, even if a little hairy at times. To love the drive.

Now, I can pay off the rest of my debt and get a DD, which I'm currently looking for. I sold the G35 back in October and solely drove the Z.

Current frontrunners:
-GS300
-98-02 Accord
-2000ish Maxima
-etc.

In addition, I have been actively searching for another NSX for 6 months and have found the one I want with an owner whose timeframe matches mine (early 2012). I had thought about what sort of NSX I would buy this time around from the newer NA2s to the more unique colored NA1-Ts such as Midnight Pearl or Brooklands Green Pearl, but the car I found was all too familiar.
I found a 2 owner Black on Ivory 1991, with 48K miles located in Long Island, NY. It's the spitting image of my old car with a VIN that indicates they were about 600 cars apart. The owner wants to upgrade to an NA2 and has owned the car for about a year after buying it from the original owner for a steal. In the NSX world, being such a small community, reputation can make or break you and this owner wants to wait on me just simply being a like-minded enthusiast. He reached out to me first.

It was always in the cards to get another NSX, and I wasn't sure how the Z would play into this, but selling it will enable me to get back into my dream car. And, perhaps, down the road, I'll find my way into a Z again, maybe a 240Z, and make it my club racer.

I realize this is a long, long post, but I felt it was fitting after moving to a new place and training with a new service to turn over a new leaf car-wise and get that much closer to being in the seat of my dreamcar yet again. Thanks for reading.
1990 Honda NSX #382. Berlina Black on Black.
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317. Gun Grey Metallic.
1972 Datsun 240Z. 112 yellow (lemon lime) on black. Project DevilZv2.0
*SOLD* '91 NSX, '99 Silvia Spec R, lots of Datsun Zs

Last edited by usafdarkhorse; 06-26-2011 at 10:47 PM..
usafdarkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
DumpedDuce
No Tennspeed, No Life

DumpedDuce is on a distinguished road
Very long read but an awesome read. Good luck with the sale of the Z and getting back into a NSX.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
dornon13

dornon13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dornon13
Omg at the interior!!

-www.dornonphotography.com-
dornon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
ZacCarter
No Tennspeed, No Life

ZacCarter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ZacCarter
White interior reminds me of:

AForwardMotion - Motorsports Apparel
Raise your weapon...
ZacCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
usafdarkhorse
too many projects
Tennspeed Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornon13 View Post
Omg at the interior!!
This is actually my old car's interior:

Compare:

He has grey floormats down in that pic because it's easy to get the ivory carpet dirty and Honda no longer makes replacement parts for the ivory interior.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
nismojunkie
allstar
No Tennspeed, No Life

nismojunkie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nismojunkie
Don't see the obsession with nsx but if you like it more power to ya! I understand loving a certain chasis.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Defcon86NWH
OG Inactive phoTOGgrapher
Tennspeed Addict

Defcon86NWH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Defcon86NWH Send a message via MSN to Defcon86NWH
I actually like the separation with the floor matts. Maybe replace with black ones.

2016 Honda Civic
2002 Honda Civic (Grandma status maroon with tan interior)
2011 Nissan Cube(Gone)
1991 XJ (junk) (Gone)
1999 Z71 (junk)
1989 240sx (junk)(Gone)
1999 Corvette (old man status)
Defcon86NWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #8
usafdarkhorse
too many projects
Tennspeed Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismojunkie View Post
Don't see the obsession with nsx but if you like it more power to ya! I understand loving a certain chasis.
When you drive one, it all makes sense. I've always been a Nissan fan, but this Honda is in my blood and nothing compares in my book. It was just a world beater. I'm just not a fan of any newer car really and the closest car I'd get besides this one would be a 993 S.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
ZacCarter
No Tennspeed, No Life

Hand built aluminum monocoque chassis ftw.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Mitch Detailed
Internet Warrior
Full-Time Post Whore

Mitch Detailed is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mitch Detailed
every time I go into work at accurate automotive and look at the Blue NSX in their showroom, it makes me want one...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Hunter

Hunter is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update, I'm hoping you got to visit Pensacola Beach while you were there?
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
usafdarkhorse
too many projects
Tennspeed Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Detailed View Post
every time I go into work at accurate automotive and look at the Blue NSX in their showroom, it makes me want one...
Details?

I see it now. They must have had that car for forever to keep it on the website banner. It's a Long Beach Blue Pearl, pretty desirable on Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Thanks for the update, I'm hoping you got to visit Pensacola Beach while you were there?
I wasn't able to get out that way, but I was downtown every night.

Last edited by usafdarkhorse; 06-27-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
nismojunkie
allstar
No Tennspeed, No Life

nismojunkie is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nismojunkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafdarkhorse View Post
When you drive one, it all makes sense. I've always been a Nissan fan, but this Honda is in my blood and nothing compares in my book. It was just a world beater. I'm just not a fan of any newer car really and the closest car I'd get besides this one would be a 993 S.
100% agree. Do not want new car...want 90s japanese cars lol
nismojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
03#1965

03#1965 is on a distinguished road
Good luck to you in flight school...great adventure (even with all the BS you have to put up with). Got my 'back seat' license at Miramar NAS while in the navy ('72-'75), but never got my F-4 ride (huge disappointment!). Only time I ever got airborne was being heloed off the carrier for leave.

Have groped them once or twice, but never been in an NSX; they've been on my 'short list' for years, and I'd crack the equity line open pretty good for the right deal. I've always been enamored with them, and it's hard to image a better 'exotic' that won't break the bank. Hope your deal works out on this one. And again, good luck with your training.
03 SVT Focus, #1965 of 3985
86 Merkur XR4Ti
www.86xr4ti5spd.homestead.com
03#1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
satalac
Resident Douchebag
The 2JZ of Post Whores

satalac is a glorious beacon of lightsatalac is a glorious beacon of lightsatalac is a glorious beacon of lightsatalac is a glorious beacon of lightsatalac is a glorious beacon of light
Great write up! Good luck to you in the future! Go with the Accord as the DD. I love my 02 ( and it's 34k miles...)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
usafdarkhorse
too many projects
Tennspeed Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03#1965 View Post
Good luck to you in flight school...great adventure (even with all the BS you have to put up with). Got my 'back seat' license at Miramar NAS while in the navy ('72-'75), but never got my F-4 ride (huge disappointment!). Only time I ever got airborne was being heloed off the carrier for leave.

Have groped them once or twice, but never been in an NSX; they've been on my 'short list' for years, and I'd crack the equity line open pretty good for the right deal. I've always been enamored with them, and it's hard to image a better 'exotic' that won't break the bank. Hope your deal works out on this one. And again, good luck with your training.
Good stuff! Appreciate your service and thanks for the well wishes. NSXs have never been more affordable. Get into one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satalac View Post
Great write up! Good luck to you in the future! Go with the Accord as the DD. I love my 02 ( and it's 34k miles...)
Ironically, I did. A green 2002 haha but I have about 100k more miles than you.

The owner of the NSX I showed above had considered selling the car to his cousin, but he was unable to come through with the cash. We're still onboard to deal in late November if it's still available.

I'm almost halfway done down here in Corpus. Started our advanced instruments block this past week and it's stuff I've already gotten hammered into my head from Air Force training, so no big deal really. I get annoyed with some stuff Navy emphasizes which I feel is fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things. They just operate differently.

Pretty much the only thing that will keep me from buying another NSX at the end of this year is if I get an assignment overseas, which is a big possibility, so I'm holding off until then. Hoping for Yokota AB, Japan, or Ramstein AB, Germany, but I'd be pretty satisfied with some CONUS locations like Peterson in Colorado Springs or even Keesler in Biloxi, MS.

If I go overseas, the big plan will be trying to bring back a car at the end of my tour provided it's federally legal. It would be around late 2015 or early 2016 by then, and any 1990 or 1991 would be exempt.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
ZacCarter
No Tennspeed, No Life

If you end up in japan, I need some mad jdm parts.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
AllGOnoSHOW
VW.AUDI.PORSCHE

AllGOnoSHOW is on a distinguished road
What a beautiful NSX. I've been following you from what you post on here. Congrats on the life progress and the 6th gen accord is very reliable. Bought my O2 in 03 for my daily and other than the previous POS auto tranny going out its been great DD and just hit 100k.

It's hard for me to understand how you could let go of your Z. It's such the perfect car to me.

Good luck on your journey and thank you for your service! I've got faith that your NSX will be just as great.

Graphic Designer. VW Enthusiast.
Current: 30v B5.5 Passat Wagon GLX / B5.5 Turbo POS

Previous: 1989 VW Jetta, 2002 VW B5.5 Passat sedan, 2002 Honda Accord 6spd, 1997 Mitsub Eclipse
AllGOnoSHOW is offline   Reply With Quote