Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

Obs psd!!

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  GREEN Rx8 
#1 ·
Well My GMC sold pretty quickly. been scouring the classifieds for months looking at sub $10k diesel trucks. Best bang for buck seemed to be 7.3 fords. Got a killer deal on this 96 California spec truck! 285k miles, 5 speed manual, 2wd, with lots of extras. Ill be the 4th owner, its only been in TN for a year. lived its whole life in vegas, and Southern CA. Dude I got it from picked it up to tow his car from LA to murfreesboro. Its all stock with just minor upgrades like an edge tuner, Single mass south bend clutch kit, trailer brake controller, back up camera, and a closed element intake. I think it has a minor boost leak somewhere, I have not driven it yet on the towing or performance tune yet, but on the "stock" tune ( I think it may be an eco tune) it would only build 10 psi at WOT. no smoke, no stumble or skip. Thing runs super smooth and much quieter than I was expecting. Very excited to join the world of diesel trucks, and to maybe squeeze a bit more power out of this hoss! More pics later since its getting dark, but these are photos from the ad.

Also apparently the Alcoa wheels on it are pretty rare. From what I have gathered they are forged aluminum Alcoa trailer wheels haha I think they look great!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks, Im still kinda stumped on the low boost issue. certainly not fuel that I can tell. drove it home in towing mode and theres plenty of power, spinning the rears through 3rd at part throttle in this rain. (pretty fun) still only hitting 11 psi on the Edge display and thats at full throttle.. The water temp is very low though. PO said during his cross country tow in the summer the stock gauge only got to the "N" sitting in Texas traffic. which is maybe 2 cm past dead cold. EOT was right aaround 150* though so that seems closer to normal. if the truck thinks its still cold the EBPV will stay shut right? I imagine choking the exhaust side of the turbo? maybe thats the culprit?

#9 ·
also I figured out the T stat was stuck wide open not allowing the truck to warm up properly. getting a new t stat and housing to put in this weekend. its aparently pretty common, and kills mpg's and power, so hopefully it makes a difference!

#12 ·
Wow I never realized he ever made a positive post^^^.

I didn't think about a boost leak the other day when you were asking about it. I thought you were meaning your gauge was messed up.

I'd assume your thermostat was/is stuck open. Mine wouldn't get warm and it ended up having a 160* in it.

#13 ·
It was stuck open. I put a 203* in it because a guy at my work had a new one but sold the truck haha seems to be working well. may get a stock 192* though. EOT unloaded cruising at 65mph was touching 205 ~ 210. I can imagine it will be much warmer in the summer with a trailer.. kinda want to keep those temps under 200

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.