Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Krispy Kreme Addict
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so on mi madre's 99 maxima with about 130k on the clock it has this steering problem. ive done a little bit of research and have found stuff similar but not exactly like the problem i have (i have a feeling this is a very common problem but idk). When the car is cold and sometimes even fully warm the steering doesnt want to turn and when i try to turn it i hear loud high pitched squeling from engine (belt probably?) and it kinda feels like the power steering doesnt work it. Its like the PS comes and goes intermittantly...also back in the summer when i used the a/c and turn the wheel all the way to one side the car would die so idk. There is PS fluid in there and no leaking from what i see...hopefully someone can help me out here...btw im not a huge fan of fwd but damn the maxima is probably one of my favs...the thing HAULS ASS ;)...lol

·
Head Baconator
915 Posts
This is what I do at the first time of any power steering problems... go get the big bottle of lucas power steering fluid. Then go get a turkey baster. Open your power steering reservoir, and use the turkey baster to suck out as much fluid out of it as you can. Refill with Lucas.

Drive for a few days, repeat. Drive for a few days, repeat.

If your seals are worn, your fluid is bad, or your pump won't stop whining then this may help. Its also the cheapest thing you can try first.

·
Krispy Kreme Addict
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm im gonna have to try that later...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts