Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
starting point:
omg.... 5th gear 120mph, 75 shot,dry --- i DO NOT condone this!!!

mad, stressed-out mechanic (boyfriend to 'the kid's mama- we just call him 'daddy')

(DON'T YOU DARE FLAME "DADDY!!" ):wink:

after acid treatment/fine hone:

second try at honing:

donor piston set in place(just to check) -:

wish us luck- I hope she'll live- 'the kid' is pretty damn lucky like that!!

quote from another forum/site that hits home- advice for the kid:

**** "rub his nose in some nawz and tell him to never do it again" ****

·
Registered
57 Posts
Should went ahead and honed the other 3 cylinders and threw new rings and bearings on while ya was there

But the cylinder looks alot better then what it did :thumbup:

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr.Clean said:
Should went ahead and honed the other 3 cylinders and threw new rings and bearings on while ya was there

But the cylinder looks alot better then what it did :thumbup:
THANKS! that acid was the bomb(muriatic acid)-i had no clue what he was sayin at first, but i learned a lot watching this job so close! only that one low spot, and it almost honed out- hope it lives. spot in question is smaller than my pinky nail. fyi- we just set that used piston in when buddy brought it by, and i took photo- it's not even attached to the rod! :wink: might use this donor piston, or i'll have to take motor 1 apart to swipe a piston. :shock: still haven't got into that- anyone got a motorstand f/s, cheap?....

-honing the other three- that's today -we still gotta pull rod caps and check bearings-(Daddy's giving me lessons today!!) so would be foolish not to hone other three as he checks the bearings/replaces rings- (same buddy got me new aftermarket rings for all 4 ($50 for all four sets!!))
-doing wp/tb too- because this motor was bought real 'quick like' after he f'd up the first one- and i'm pretty sure nitrous eats up the rings- right?
today we shoud know if it'll fly as/is.....and we should (i hope!) start putting it back together tommorrow when the wp/tb parts arrive...........................

"the kid" called at 6am wanting details! i told him we just got the head off- still making him squirm (punishment for being dumbass! :lol: )- hope we'll have it running by next weekend so 'mama' can break it in for him and enjoy driving a newer teg for a couple weeks-won't be much fun, since i'm still paranoid from getting my big ticket last week :oops:

·
OG founder
5,386 Posts
omg I wish my parents were into automechanics like you guys are... lol

and is this the motor you guys Just put in there?
I saw the Dreaming thread.

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JPJ2007 said:
we got lots of adopted 'kids' cause of this :wink:
I CREATED A MONSTER!! haha used to be i couldn't even get him to sweep the shop, much less look at a motor repair job!
(once he got the first teg- he started to learn quick he still sucks on the clean-up part)
hope he takes it all and puts it to good/SMART use from now on!

here we go, today's starting point:
(notice the coverall's- i had to cover it up good, to SWEEP THE FLOOR-
(**D.C., I know you're checkin this out- HI SON!!***)

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
today's drama!

xrannie said:
JPJ2007 said:
we got lots of adopted 'kids' cause of this :wink:
I CREATED A MONSTER!! haha used to be i couldn't even get him to sweep the shop, much less look at a motor repair job!
(once he got the first teg- he started to learn quick he still sucks on the clean-up part)
hope he takes it all and puts it to good/SMART use from now on!

here we go, today's starting point:
(notice the coverall's- i had to cover it up good, to SWEEP THE FLOOR-
(**D.C., I know you're checkin this out- HI SON!!***)
OMG! no more 'kid's luck'!! !! out it comes! :(
time to get really :beer: :cocktail: :beer: - haha- nahhhh!- just gonna go out behind the garage for a minute :wink:
today:
bad news- cyl #3 has scratched/scored journal-notice the metal in the rod-journal- oil hole and scored bearings-

glad we got another complete block!!
took head off motor 1-

check out exhaust cam-motor 1 head- (very dramatic photo!):

and the exhaust valves:

bearings/journals look good- whew!

we're tired!!

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, this is the same motor!

j.i.c. someone missed that thread, this is what's gonna happen it THE KID pisses me off!!
ha!

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whatta bummer

ok, so there's got to be a hitch with every f'n step of the repair!!

got it all together, honed, new rings- these bearings were new 5k miles ago, so they'll do. ran outta time and the kid's officialy 'broke' till next month- so...
motor one block - cyl 3 after hone- yes, we did 'em all!

assembled block:

did last minute check on head 2- assumed it was ok just glancing at it last week- WRONG!
bent valves on nitrous'd piston failed cylinder- broke valve guide:

head 1 went to emergency room this morning with head 2 (napa machine shop- whew! i do got friends after all!!) got to have this motor back together by thurs to start break-in process. kid's got 4 day leave this weekend and hoping to drive it back to norfolk, va on monday-
just wish me luck and cross your fingers for us.

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got worse before it got better

ok, so there's b.s. oozing out of every pore .
not only did head 2 have un notice bent valves on cyl. 3, it had all exhaust valves bent=
replaced 'em all.

** new valves, gaskets, seals,cut seats, polish/assembly= mama traded the nitrous kit off for the HEAD JOB !!**

brand new valves:

ok, that all said n done-

we go to assemble it to the trans= right? - nahhhhhh! more B.S.............
take the trans off the block only to find that the last mechanic stole the brand new ebay 4 puck clutch/basket and put in worn out pos clutch. hoping to never get caught!

this is NOT what he got paid to install 3 months ago- whatta piece of shit!!

so... mom throws for an autozone clutch= don't flame. condition of the lightweight flywheel, time, $$, nescesity made this decision for us. he only had weekend leave time.

got her together

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THE KID IS HOME!!

ok, xrannie's a happy camper. picked the kid up at midnight friday.
short story of the end of the story:
starting point friday around midnight-
XRANNIE'S DA WAITING FOR DUSTY AT THE AIRPORT:

took a picture of the clock when i got home from airport with THE KID.

here's the kid doing number one priority- REMOVING THE NITROUS KIT/COMPONENTS

OK GUYS/GALS. IT LIVES!! RUNS GREAT- DOING BREAK-IN WHILE HE'S HOME ON LEAVE. DRIVES IT 950 MILES BACK TO VIRGINIA-NORFOLK ON TUESDAY. AND HE'LL BE GRINNIN EAR TO EAR= that's what it was all about for me= GO NAVY!!!

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
old thread- 6 month update

i'm missin' THE SHITASS (aka 'the kid') today....

proud to say that this car is still runnnin' great..... three horrible tickets since rebuild to prove it- i'm pretty dissapointed by that..
not everyone's got a mom thats such a sucker.... i know damn good n well that this car shoulda been sold or should still be sittin in my garage waiting for the big 'light of responsibility' in his head to turn green.
THANK YOU GOD FOR KEEPING MY SON SAFE IN THIS CAR!

dont screw up your daily driver for the sake of gofast b.s. if you can't afford to fix it or can't fix it yourself !!
get a spare beater car first.

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
old thread bump

i had to search for this to send the link & i know they'll have come to the site to see it, so I decided to pull it up front and center, just in case there's some helpful hints someone else could use too.

#1's(my son) last gsr made it a whole year 1/2 after this rebuild (6 months of that he was deployed though..lol ) He totaled it on an on ramp, broke loose thru the big sweeper and missled right into the saftey wall. I drove down in my truck, me and my son pulled the drivetrain and I brought it back to store until the z6 in my hatch wears out or starts giving me trouble. Been waiting a year for a knock, some smoke or engine light..no luck.. lol
Next in line for my lil Sally (white eg in my sig)

got offered 4k for lil sally saturday.i'm considering it~ then i'll sell ^^

·
CuntRy gUrl
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Annie I'm interested in the swap if if the hatch sells.
ok thanks. you got dibbs then. it'll be feb. before the guy who made the offer gets his tax return, so hang tight. only way i'll let her go is if he stands firm on his offer. Happy New Year ! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts