Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

Do you think the type of oil you use (synthetic or natural) in your engine makes a difference perfor

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• What's Motor Oil? (if you pick this please consult the nearest wall with your head)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know any background on this stuff ie, reliablility, performance, comparisons? i'm thinking about switching over from my current oil to the AMSoil brand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's nice, but all technical data shows me is that the company has done research....i want to hear testimonials from people who've actually ran the product

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I ran it in my b16 do you want dynos or somthing? Running a syn. oil has been proven to gain horsepower, but it's not a huge gain. Running it in older motors is not the greatest idea, as it is much thinner at operating temp and it has greater chance to leak. Also a non-degtergant dino oil should be used for engine break-ins, as synthetic oil does not allow the rings to seat even at full vacuum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will tell ya'll now. synthetic is proven to be better. it is slicker, higher heat resistance, stronger. it will improve gas mileage and i learned it will also help your engine run cooler. not 100 degrees cooler but noticeably. i was against it for years until i read up on it. you know what i did not too long later? yes i pulled my engine, tore it apart, cleaned all components so i could change it(in case of sludge buildup), checked for any excessive wear in parts(good thing i did because there was alot of stuff), and put it back together. dont make the mistake i did. DO NOT go straight to synthetic oil after an engine rebuild or with a brand new motor. the rings will never seat correctly. use natural oil for 500 miles or special break in oil.

CONSIDER THE SWITCH. YOU'LL APPRECIATE IT!! AND SO WILL YOUR ENGINE.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ran synthetic for a while before my motor blew. It seemed to burn real easy cause I was always adding more, it also will find any place it can to leak out of, another reason I was always adding more. But I did have close to 100,000 on the motor so that would be a lot of why it was doing that. I have stayed with regular ever since I rebuilt the motor, just didn't seem like it was worth the hassle of always having to watch it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IntegraLS-T said:
I ran synthetic for a while before my motor blew. It seemed to burn real easy cause I was always adding more, it also will find any place it can to leak out of, another reason I was always adding more. But I did have close to 100,000 on the motor so that would be a lot of why it was doing that. I have stayed with regular ever since I rebuilt the motor, just didn't seem like it was worth the hassle of always having to watch it.
"it also will find any place it can to leak out of" that is a common misconception. sythentic is thinner than other oils. here is the thing. it will seem like it seeks for it because it kind of does but that is because there is a defect in the motor. which you apparently took care of. that is good. dont be afraid to try out sythetic one last time. i almost guarentee you that you'll love it.

·
Internet Warrior
5,476 Posts
zac, i am calling you out. i use torco sr-1, and i love it. amsoil is a great oil. but from what ive found, torco controls operating temperatures muchh better, and contains more zinc dithrophate than any other boutique oil on the market, i'm sold.

torco > Amsoil... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts