Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home this morning I got off the interstate & I just happen to get into 1st & 2nd gear a little bit rev'd out to about 7,500.... after that I hit 5th & just cruised down number 11 at 55mph. Well shortly after that I noticed my car was missing... So as I am attempting to pull this small hill to pull off in a parking lot my car just dies. I pop the hood & notice my #4 spark plug wire had came completely off the distributor.... so I reconnect it then try to start the car... nothing happens. I don't have a compression tester near by right now so I just wanted to get some input from some other honda fellows.

Blown head gasket?

& could I just skip resurfacing the head seeing how the car didnt overheat? & It seems to still be mated to the block as nicely & super clean

If it matter's its just a b16 motor with CTR pistons running low boost with OEM head gasket.... yes its been tuned

EDIT
Turned out to be ignition coil :thumbup: Thanks guys

·
Super Moderhater
12,366 Posts
i know nothing about hondas, but ive had similar issues with cars before and its been something simple in the ignition system ... so it could just be a coincidence - i would definitely clean things up and get it running, check for typical BHG symptoms like coolant/oil mixing, smoking, and whatnot before diagnosing it

also, sometimes you can get away with just a new HG, sometimes the head and/or block surface is screwed up - you wont know until you see it .... and you probably cant tell by eye, so if you have a dial indicator you can find out real quick

·
Diesel Dick
2,883 Posts
Probably something in the ignition, I would test that first.. Honda doesn't have the best dizzys...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may get lucky & it be just a fried distributor even tho thats alot more then a new head gasket but easier to change on the other hand

·
Registered
273 Posts
check the dizzy. i have multiple cases where if i pulled the spark plug wire while the car was on..the distributor will mess up afterwords.the wire could of touched with something while it came out causing the ignitor/coil to go out.just test it for spark..then you automatically know.

·
Registered
251 Posts
SiRWagg said:
Probably something in the ignition, I would test that first.. Honda doesn't have the best dizzys...
thats what i would try as well. Ive has that happen plenty of times where it be running like a champ then jst act a fool and die and it turn out to be a coil or something

·
gripNsip
3,219 Posts
honda distributor FTL ya thats what i would look at first dont sound like a head problem to me

·
Registered
237 Posts
It sounds more like something simple. If it was a Headgasket B i woudl get the head resurfaced just to be safe man. It may not look it at all but it can be off a tad. It doesnt cost most to get a machin shop to do it eaither.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts