Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Banned
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand their every day / daily driver convenience of going to work or where-ever and getting good gas mileage; however for the life of me; I do not understand why you guys are so attached to an economy car. I know they can be made fast, but that is any car, so why stick with what most parents would buy their kids as a beginner car? (excluding the s2k)

Stock they aren't fast and have horrible handling.

And what's the deal with everyone buying old Honda's? Why not buy something newish; year 2000+? Why are most Honda people buying cars older than the year 2000? What's the appeal of a four door standard coupe sedan?

I don't get it.

(before you think of replying, this is for reasonable discussion; for a person or persons to learn)

·
Drives
3,052 Posts
Well they can be made to handle and are the cheapest car to make well into a clean car. Some
people like having better gas mileage because of the economy now and days

·
Registered
341 Posts
They are cheap. There is a higher availabilty of parts. Newer car generally have less of an aftermarket with which to choose parts from.

Personal preference. Those old civics are probably faster than your car as well. :wink:

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
I will be watching this closely, due to recent events. Keep it clean, and keep a LOGICAL discussion going, and there won't be a problem.

My $.02 on it... same reason as other guys have already mentioned:

Phoenix_95 said:
They are cheap. There is a higher availabilty of parts.
We are all enthusiasts here (save for a few people)... some people just choose a different route...

Some like Domestics, some like Nissans, Hondas, Toyota, and Mazda... and some choose to support Nazis :)P). It's all the same thing man... just different ways to do it.

·
horizontally opposed
2,045 Posts
I dont own one but I would have to assume what has already been said really.

cheaper car to buy

TONS of aftermarket

the afterarket is generally cheaper than other cars even for good quality parts

The swaps are endless and not too difficult

they get good gas mileage generally

they are reliable

used parts are a dime a dozen

·
Registered
982 Posts
well tons of aftermarket parts
cheap and lots of fun :thumbup:

·
Registered
698 Posts
HedTrip said:
why do ppl buy old rusty beat up muscle car? when there's newer faster cars?

because thats what they like.

muscle car prices are going up.....they only made 35,000 of my 72' 240z and think of how many of them got ate by the rust bug or totalled or crushed...now how manys left?

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
HedTrip said:
why do ppl buy old rusty beat up muscle car? when there's newer faster cars?

because thats what they like.
I think it's a LITTLE more to it than that... but yet it's still the same with someone buying an old beat up import car and building it up.

Pride. Knowing you took an old car, fixed it up enough, and at least put some EFFORT into making it what it finishes as. That's the way it is for me anyways.

I'd rather take an old car (Import OR Domestic) and fix it, than go buy a new 2009 car... Anybody can buy a NEW car... but it takes someone who KNOWS CARS to fix one up that has been around for a while and starting to show it's age.

·
Banned!!!!!
186 Posts
Why does anyone buy any car? Retarded post if you ask me. Some cars look better than others, some are faster, some handle better. Which do you want? Ask everyone in the state your question, I bet every answer will be different.

·
Registered
146 Posts
pocketmidget said:
I understand their every day / daily driver convenience of going to work or where-ever and getting good gas mileage; however for the life of me; I do not understand why you guys are so attached to an economy car. I know they can be made fast, but that is any car, so why stick with what most parents would buy their kids as a beginner car? (excluding the s2k)

And what's the deal with everyone buying old Honda's? Why not buy something newish; year 2000+? Why are most Honda people buying cars older than the year 2000? What's the appeal of a four door standard coupe sedan?

I don't get it.

(before you think of replying, this is for reasonable discussion; for a person or persons to learn)
Have you ever owned a Honda?

I have owned five 5.0 mustangs. I have owned two MK3 supras, one with a 1jz swap the other was a 7mgte, a 2jzgte Lexus GS300, a 10th anniversary rx7, a turbo MR2, an LT1 Firebird and a alot of normal cars.

I am not braging but I thought the same way you did at first. I started to look on craigslist for a car that got the absolute best gas mileage. I was looking at camrys, carollas, sentras, and the bottom line is nothing gets better gas mileage than the early to mid 90s Hondas. They are easy to work on, easy to find parts, easy to make into a 14/15 second 1/4 mile car with the D-series engine.

I would never race my Honda but its more fun to have a daily driver that runs 14s than a daily that runs 16s, gets 40 mpg still and has cold air and a nice stereo. Tell me another vehicle for the price that can do these things.

·
Toyota Lover
5,359 Posts
As for your question, I have wondered this same thing but at the same time, I have also had 2 Honda/Acura's pre-2000 that were great cars...

My Civic was 303 whp, 278 ft-lb. of torque and got 31mpg...
My Integra was 613 whp, 412 ft-lb. of torque and got 26mpg...
Hence, the same reason as others have said such as gas mileage and cost of aftermarket parts and to me both my civic and integra looked decent (others may have different opinions, which is okay).

I am not sure what make and model cars you are trying to compare these Honda's to, but I would have put money on my economical honda and acura up against many cars that are double in overall cost...

This is all just my opinion, but please let me know where you are going with this...

pocketmidget said:
however for the life of me; I do not understand why you guys are so attached to an economy car.
As for this quote here, I just recently bought a new Camry, which is an economy car in completely stock form that gets more gas mileage than a Mazda RX-8, its faster, and I would love to race on any type of track, drag, autox, etc against that car... I know my car is not a Honda, which is what you originally were talking about, but I am just giving an example as to why an economy car might be better in some ways...

0-60: 5.8 vs. 7.0
MPG: 19/28 vs. 16/22

Numbers from Edmunds.com tests and reviews...

Please don't take any offense to this, because trust me I have also wondered about "Honda's" but I believe that if they are built correctly, they are well worth it...

·
Yes, I drive a Barbie car
4,387 Posts
they are really the first marketed tunable car. well the civic that is. no matter how you look at it. the import car scene would not be what it is today without the introduction of the civic.

also, they are lightweight, cheap, and easy to come by.

that and the b-series motor is one of the easiest motors to build

i agree that sohc civics are crap (tuning wise) when they are stock. but i would rock a stock Si or gsr or type any day (all with b-series i might had)

·
Car Junkie
712 Posts
Honda keeps wiring and mounts the same or very similar in most of their powertrains, so swaps are very easy. They also tend to overbuild their motors. Even some of their fairly mundane engines stand up to far more power and abuse than one would expect.

There has been a trend where car manufacturers have it in their head that everyone wants to sit higher in their car, so almost every car has gotten taller (not to mention larger in every other dimension), giving it more weight and a higher center of gravity. I can't tell you how genuinely annoying it is to sit in a car that is disproportionately tall and has height adjustment on its seat, but still manages to press your head into the headliner at the lowest setting. The older Civics (88-2000) have better suspension than their newer brethren, and current Civics weigh about 500-800lbs more than their counterparts from the late 80's/early 90's. Of course for us in the inspection areas, pre-96 cars don't have to pass OBD2 inspection, so you can do more with the engine and only pass the sniff test (unless you are pre-75, then you don't have to have it inspected at all).

·
gripNsip
3,219 Posts
pocketmidget said:

I don't get it.

And this is comeing from a guy that drives a yellow RX-8 :roll:
Let me ask u the same thing why did u buy your RX-8??

·
Super Moderhater
12,366 Posts
what it really comes down to is one word: cheap

cheap because its aftermarket is huge, so parts dont cost an arm and a leg - even for high-quality parts
cheap because you can get 25-40mpg even with 600whp, as Milon pointed out
cheap because they were produced in HUGE quantities, so you can get one in decent condition used for a couple thousand

sure theyre not the fastest options, or the most luxurious - but you cant blame people, because most people that build them have either grown attached to the brand (loyalty) or go through honda "tuning" as an entry into an automotive hobby - younger guys cant afford to go out and drop $30k on a nicer car, so this is a great way to get into the hobby and be able to support the hobby with a typical job

oddly enough, people have slowly begun to realize that you can get similar (or better, in some cases) results from a Nissan!

·
Registered
899 Posts
The answer is pretty simple. The older hondas have this, while the newer ones don't:

1 - 20 of 153 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.