Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Krispy Kreme Addict
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my friend with a 96 civic (d16y7) wants to chip/flash/tune his ecu. After some researching on honda-tech, dseries.org and a few other places i learned that you cannot chip/tune/flash an OBDII honda (which I find odd. I find it easier to tune OBDII rather than OBDI). What must be done is you have to get a jumper harness and convert the vehicle to OBDI with an OBDI ECU. THEN you have to take it to someone who tunes...so far this is all I know and so far this looks like waaaaaayyy too much work... What kind of power increase (if any) are we looking at here? On average, for example with a crome(sp?) ecu tune or w/e they sell? Im trying to find out if my research is correct or if there is an easier way to do it...
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys! :eek:hnoes:

·
International Administrator
9,621 Posts
honda obd2a/b ecu's are NOT tuneable at all...just piggy backs (bandaid) or conversion harness and a socketed obd1 ecu and a program.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
OBD1 + conversion harness is definitely the cheapest way to get it tuned.

That being said, there are minimal gains to be had unless he has at least a cam and bumped compression, or something of that nature.

·
Krispy Kreme Addict
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm well he has gear cams, cai, catback exhaust and were about to throw on a new intake mani...so your saying we have to get an OBDI ecu right? do we get a stock one or one that has been pretuned or do we have to take it somewhere to tune it? and we use the jumper harness to connect it to the car? Will he still be able to use the OBDII port to check for codes?

·
Registered
917 Posts
And if he is going to swap the y7 mani for the better y8 mani, tell him to expect complications. I got a good power increase, but it hasnt idled right since.

·
Krispy Kreme Addict
7,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And if he is going to swap the y7 mani for the better y8 mani, tell him to expect complications. I got a good power increase, but it hasnt idled right since.
so im guessing CEL's out the ass too? not that you could check it anyway...:|

·
Registered
917 Posts
I actually got by with absolutely no codes. I could definitely help with it if needbe, but I cant guaruntee that it will run 100% flawlessly afterwards.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
If you want to use the Y8 intake manifold on a Y7 and still use the Y7 ECU...

Use Y7 injectors (190cc vs 240cc for every other Honda >.<)
Use the Y7 throttle body with a Y8 throttle rotor
Use an automatic Y8 intake manifold (no IACV port) or plug the IACV port on the manifold.

The Y7 uses a throttle body mounted IACV that is a 3 wire design. Y8 automatics also use this - but every other Honda system uses a 2 wire intake manifold mounted IACV.

If you want to run OBD1, you'll need to convert to a 2-wire IACV intake manifold / throttle body setup.

To stick with the OBD2 ECU (which is needed to pass the OBD2 port scan in Davidson / surrounding counties) you'll need to use the Y7 throttle body, ECU, and injectors. Intake manifold can be whatever you choose so long as you block the IACV ports, if present.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts