Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Go Old School or Go Home
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 93 ex coupe ive been working on for a while .never knew what i was going to do with it and it dawn on me "why not a rat rod "

hears the low down on the build

1.rear disk break conversion
2.lower the ride some lil lower in the front for the raked look
3 H.O.C. satin"matt" either black or black cherry
4.old school pinstripe on the hood ,trunk,lower front fenders .
5.upgrade the lights to H.I.D.
6. redo the interior seats reupholster with Indian blanket style centers in the seats . and either tweed or suede
7 auto meter . makes a set of old school style gauges for the water temp and oil pressure and oil temp .
8. im taking a set of 15 inch steelies and having them painted nova red and dropping on some beauty rings ..
9.Sony explode cd player with infinity componets all the way around ,sony 800 watt amp 1300 watt sony sub 1 farud cap and mtx crossover

the engine build
ok i have a B16a block B16B1 head

the build:
head
1. ITR cams
2. skunk2 valve springs
3. new oem valves
4. head has a mild port and pollish
5. factor cam gears "will upgrade if need to"
6. skunk2 intake manafold
7. oe throttle body off of an ls
8..hayame FR-1 fuel rail

the block
1. balance,blue printed and knife edged crank b16
2. factory b16B rods
3. factory b16B pistons
4. total seel rings and acl bearings
5. arp head studs
6. cometic head gasket
7. itr oil pump
8. oe oil pan

the tranny

gsr short gear with itr final drive and ring gear set .

suspension and brakes

all urathane bushings
new shocks and struts "brand"?????
aero speed coil overs
10 inch breaks up front and gsr rears
gsr rear sway bar and trype-R strut tower bar

its still a solid project as of now but possitive feed back would be nice and some sujestions also are welcome

if you just have shit to say pm me and dont post on this thread

·
Head Baconator
915 Posts
Rat rod, new trend on Hondas... Or rice rod, Don kind've made that phrase quite popular around here.

Not a real fan of that style on Hondas, just doesn't flow... do me a favor and don't rust your hood.

... but build looks like fun, hope you enjoy the final product.

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
Looks like this thread is going better than the MRS thread man :thumbup:

·
yes i'm RICE
3,689 Posts
dude is not a rat rod if you got clean paint and clean interior
rat rod got to have rust and fuck up interior
use a oil barrow or bench as seat
no gauge only feel for engine speed and car speed

·
Go Old School or Go Home
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the reason for the hids is well im blind as a bat at night and im honestly thinking of rusting certian parts of the car with a satin finish on the rest of it .. the car is still in stock form at them moent short of the olive drab green hood and fenders .. and ill strat putting up pucs as soon as i figure out how .. and yes i know the true meaning of rat rods .. choped ,slamed, rusted out, tac and a ape hanger shifter .. "wonder how that will work with my sk2 short throw lol

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
go all out if your going to do it chop the top lol that would be clean as fuck if you pulled if off but go for it man its different but make sure you keep the concept of a rat rod and I think you'll do just fine

·
Go Old School or Go Home
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks i did some measuring and raking the roof on my eg will be a bitch but well worth it

i am fabbing up a few things to keep with the rat rod theme tho im having the hood louvered old school "just talked to the guy about an hour ago and it will cost me about 200 for the hood to be done and seeing as im an ex "sunroof" i cant do the roof like i wanted and im trying to find some oldschool parts to fit the theme even went as far as fabing up a shifter arm and dropping on a jocky style skull and give it the ape hanger look .. and i know aluminum cant rust but any one now what paint or chemical i can use to acheive that effect

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
^How about you remove the sunroof and replace it with a button on leather sunroof....Sorta like the old sunroof Bugs.

·
Resident Bike Expert
3,859 Posts
dude is not a rat rod if you got clean paint and clean interior
rat rod got to have rust and fuck up interior
use a oil barrow or bench as seat
no gauge only feel for engine speed and car speed
are you seriously trying to explain ratrod style?

·
Go Old School or Go Home
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just shrugged his comment off cause i now how to build a rat better than most around here .. im not trying to brag .. but my farther and both my uncles duilt rat rods back in the 40's and 50's they know what a rat rod is and knew how to build them.. and a rat rod can cosist of many different aspects . such as indian blanket bench seats , ape hanger shifter "or jocky shifter" origional paint even if its rusted, loud open exhaust . leather "usally worn " trim over some parts of the car . striped down to the bear nessetys and usally up to the owners descression of how he inturpits his car to look .. its not pretty to most but to otheres its beatifull ..

and about the leather roof skin .. i will look into that i would have never thouht to do that .. thanks for the good advice .. i will try that and i wil let you know how it turned out .. and im all ways open to advice .. good or bad ..

·
Go Old School or Go Home
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im still trying to figure that one out on the leather roof .. i was thinking of using snaprings to hold it down over the sun roof so it gives it that appearance and for car shows just take the sun roof out and after put it back in after the show so i will be able to keep the weather out or did you have another way in mind ..

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
Maybe you could make it like a leather cover that slips over the sunroof like a pillowcase. Easy to remove that way.

·
Go Old School or Go Home
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nah then it would get jammed in the tracks some how i have an idea with it and im going to try it i have a bag of saddle rings and im going to screw them down to the area around the sun roof and strech the hide over it and pop it like i don on my old mga mk2

but thanks for the advice 85rx-7gsl-se at least you aint hounding me like those kids over at MRS

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
cool deal

·
Yes, THE nukefivesix
3,377 Posts
seems pretty cool, nextgear don's car is the only civic ive seen that pulls off the rat roddish style.. tho it reminds me more of a salt flat car for some reason.. oh well, good luck

·
hard parker
2,373 Posts
My dad and I are actually building a true ratrod right now. All steel 33' plymouth 5window coupe chopped and dropped 5" w a 331 hemi. Back to your thread seems like a cool project I'd like to see pics

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
Wow... fucking really? Really?

No matter HOW much you TRY to make it a "Rat Rod", it will just be a shitty looking Civic (just like ALOT of Civics out there), and nowhere NEAR looking like the REAL thing.

If you wanna build a rat, build a rat... it isn't that expensive. And it won't end up looking like some rusted out, gay looking Civic.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts