Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok a lot of people on here i know go to the drag strip union hill, beech bend. lets here some info on what to do on your first trip to the races. what should you do, expect, bring.

I figure this will be a good thread i've never been, so i know nothing about staging the wet box or anything about what to do. so lets hear it

·
I <3 wheels.
1,756 Posts
Dont try and launch with the Wastegate open on your first pass ever... :lol:

I will make a longer write up tonight, because I think this is a VERY good topic, because there are things to bring that will only make your life easier!

*Good call on a "Worth a damn thread" haha.

·
Super Moderator
11,516 Posts
1)Bring the common tools that you use on your car
2)If its fwd always nice to have an extra set of axles
3)set of spark plugs
4)flashlight
5)Stay calm it can be overwhelming sitting there waiting on your turn in the burnout box if your stall out doing a burnout just brush it off and try again Just Dont Get Frustrated
6)Dont worry about the guy in the next lane its comes down to you and the clock
7)PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE
8)The most important thing above all HAVE FUN

·
I drive a 5.SLOW mustang
994 Posts
dont come with high hopes if you have never had a timed run before
you may think you can run 13's
but the clocks probably gunna read 15's
until you get your launch/shift/reaction times down

·
gripNsip
3,219 Posts
jcoosi said:
1)Bring the common tools that you use on your car
2)If its fwd always nice to have an extra set of axles
3)set of spark plugs
4)flashlight
5)Stay calm it can be overwhelming sitting there waiting on your turn in the burnout box if your stall out doing a burnout just brush it off and try again Just Dont Get Frustrated
6)Dont worry about the guy in the next lane its comes down to you and the clock
7)PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE
8)The most important thing above all HAVE FUN
9)tacobell
X2

·
horizontally opposed
2,045 Posts
dont drive through the water (burnout area) if your on street tires.

If its just an open free for all I wouldnt line up with a Big Boy car incase they get asshappy and come in your lane.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha i planned on the spare axles as well as a flat bed since ill never know what could happen. the best info i've gotten was dont jump to straight to racing watch a few races first watch how people race and ask some of the people that have been there before for pointers. Adam ill be waiting on a write up too.

so far this is a pretty good thread lets keep it up

·
fire breathing triangle
487 Posts
i usually do a 60' burnout to show everyone whats up.....

dont forget to take all the unnecessary crap out of your car too.
never assume you know whats going on cause you dont thats why the have workers there.
if on street tires dont water box it just do a liitle burnout to warm up the tires and clean them off.
if you are ff/fr(with open diff.) set up then be prepare to fid the best launch rpms /clutch work combo i.e. i launch @ 4k slipping the clutch just enough to get out of the hole then punch it.
know what to do before you even get in line to race so your not the idiot that everyone laughs at... cause they will all laugh at you.
make sure the car can be put under the stress of run after run before you go, you know practice out somewhere safe and close to home.
like adam said make the first run smooth as can be just get the car down the sstrip in a faster than normal driving scenerio,get the feel of the track and then each run after kick it up a notch.
i turned the gain down and boost down alittle on my first few just to seee if traction was an issue then slowly adjusted it up til i was at desired boost and spool in rate.
the stage lights are tricky to newbs but once you find it you wont forget it and watch for the first light double yellow to come on then make sure your foe is in the lane and not still burning out... but if your foe is along side of you just inch up til the second set of stage lights come on and get rpms up and wait for the three single yellows to go then i always say go in my head when i see the 3rd yellow light and i go that way it gets you a better reaction time, if you think about the tree and between each light is a 10th of a second so 3rd yellow light say go and thats about the 10th of a second to wait then take off

now there are tree that are pro lights. they dont do the 3 yellow light singularly they go all at once so you really have to be ready

thats all i have for now besides what everyone else put down

1 - 10 of 10 Posts