Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stuff.
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week F1 and Pirelli will be testing a new 18" wheel and tire design for possible implementation in the future. I have read both good and bad reviews. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. Upon first inspection, I think it looks stupid. I think formula cars in general just look weird with larger wheels, like a formula donk. It doesn't seem aesthetically "balanced" with thinner sidewall tires, or maybe it's just because they've been that way for 50 years.

Here's what Pirelli has to say:
“The 13-inch tyre is no longer relevant to the everyday road user, because even an 18-inch tyre is used by standard vehicles these days.=,” said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.
“While 18-inch tyres would be a big step for Formula One, there are many other motorsport series that already use this size. So there’s scope to go even bigger than that in Formula One in years to come.”

They have a point with road relevance, and the trickle down theory is a real thing, but I think they'd be better off trying ~16" before going straight to 18s. Thoughts?

·
FABRICATOR
2,379 Posts
The "look" doesn't matter on those cars so I say why not? It has always been about the tech aspect and trickle down into road cars so.... if it works or especially if it works better, then I say go for it.

·
EF U
2,510 Posts
Looks fine to me & if it helps put the power down & increase traction why not. What are the Cons To the bigger wheel?

·
Registered
196 Posts
The thing is, it will likely slow the cars down at first solely because they are not dialed in to work with that wheel and tire setup. There will be growing pains associated with the switch.
^^^ with ya on that. I think testing this year would be the best time to do it, considering the growing pains to the v6 motor everyone including the us fans are having to go through already. However, I will say, this year hasn't been as bad as I expected with the transitions that have been made.

·
Registered
899 Posts
They look great to me! That would allow more room for brakes / KERS etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts