Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty guys... let's give my theory of having a logical, mature discussion a test.

What do you think about people who merely keep their children away from their weapons that are stored in the persons home?

PERSONALLY, I will educate, and SHOW my (future) children one day what a gun is, and why they should exercise FULL CAUTION when around the gun, and why they shouldn't try to get into it, because of the dangers.

I think shielding a child from a weapon (guns in particular) just sparks their curiosity, and makes them WANT to wander around, trying to find/play with it, because they don't know what a gun is capable of.

Discuss.

·
Registered
982 Posts
PERSONALLY, I will educate, and SHOW my (future) children one day what a gun is, and why they should exercise FULL CAUTION when around the gun, and why they shouldn't try to get into it, because of the dangers.

I think shielding a child from a weapon (guns in particular) just sparks their curiosity, and makes them WANT to wander around, trying to find/play with it, because they don't know what a gun is capable of.

^ thats exactly right you hit hit nail on the head :thumbup:

·
Drives
3,052 Posts
Well I don't think anyone who has any mental disorders or any type of anger that
can burst just like that. I think they should be shown and given a chance to shoot one off at a range
and all that nonsense to see if they like it or not.

Now another case is I am scared because a guy I know has a 12 gauge, a rifle, and a pistol. He
has anger issues and well anytime he has his gun out or anything like that I am really scared.
He did not practice proper and safe storage with them either. He is now off to college with his guns.
He is keeping them in storage, but oh well I am not a fan of being around guns, mostly pistols.
I have shot my fair share of shotguns and rifles, but I don't have anger issues.

I do love a gun with a big kick though. I shot a 7mm rifle last year and that thing had some kick.
It blew up a small hill. We were 100 yards away shooting at just random stuff(safely) and we shot a
plastic chair once and it blew apart like that. The hill was toast though

·
Registered
698 Posts
i think that u have some good views on this....personally i see it about 50% your way...yes they should be tought about guns....know why they are so dangerous....and educate them....but also people kill people not guns....honestly if u wanted to kill someone u could pick up a ball point pen and kill someone just as easilly as a gun.....my opinion is that children should be educated about guns but if u have guns they should be put up in a locked safe....and if u dont have a safe u should get some trigger locks and lock up the bullets......

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
umcool911ok said:
I do love a gun with a big kick though. I shot a 7mm rifle last year and that thing had some kick.
It blew up a small hill. We were 100 yards away shooting at just random stuff(safely) and we shot a
plastic chair once and it blew apart like that. The hill was toast though
Just wait... if you ever go in the Army and shoot a 120mm "cannon" that moves a 80 ton TANK... THAT'S kick. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
My children will know how to shoot guns and respect guns the same way I did! I owned my first long gun at the age of 6. My grandpa gave it to me, it is a Sears Roebuck 4/10 over under. Since then I have gotten guns pretty much every year. I now have over 25 guns and I know their capabilities. I was tought simple gun safety before I know the damn alphabet! lol I will teach my children everything I know the same way I was tought! My children will own guns(most of them will be mine). I have my carry permit and I carry every day. I know when to conceal it, use it, protect it, and store it. Evryone is different and some people DO NOT need to own guns, beacuse they were not raised to repect firearms!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh yeah, I meant to add that sometimes I freak myself out a bit when im carrying. Ill stop and think that I have a weapon that could take someones life and any moment strapped on my hip. Most of you wouldnt understand this, but those of you who have carried prob have had this same feeling from time to time.

·
O_o
5,429 Posts
My father kept a loaded 9mm in his sock drawer when I was a child.

He took me to the firing range with him, and showed me how dangerous it could be.

I was told to never touch it.

I stayed away from that sock drawer like it was the plauge.

Education is the key, HOWEVER I would never feel confortable with a loaded weapon withing reach of my child.

·
Riding the Bandwagon
1,234 Posts
There are several guns in my house.
Most of them, being my dads, but as a kid (about 7 years old)
my dad bought me my 410, and took me squirrel hunting
after he'd shot a squirrel, he showed it to me, told me it wasnt asleep it was dead
and taht's what guns did to people
scared the everlivin crap outta me lol

but now I know, and I dont raelly touch em unless we're goin huntin.

·
X Honda Junkie
2,907 Posts
well i grew up with a ******* and i went hunting alot when was little, and it taught me safety and respect for them so when my old man got a hand gun it was thought of the same in my eyes. as i got older (my teen years) i didn't like to hunt but i still liked to go out and shoot in the back yard at my dad's(not in the city but on 50 acres in the middle of no where, with a mound of dirt to stop the bullets from straying off) and i never had a though cross my mind of doing something crazy like what you see on the news these days. now i have a 4 and a 2 year old and i plan on taking them to a hunters education class and taking them hunting too even though i know they will probably get bored or lose intrest like i did but looking back on those days i learned alot about nature,safety, and respect. and i would like to have my boys learn those values as i did and pass it on. and as stated on here before i believe the kids of today and tomorrow that will take a gun to school or run the streets with one probably never were expose to them by their parents and where just going by what they have seen on tv. learning in my opinion is respecting, curiosity killed the cat

·
Registered
398 Posts
good subject

I was ARMY active duty, if i have any children (doubtfull) i will train them full well how to use a firearm in case of life threatening defense, But in the same token they will master many different forms of martial art including budo (the art of the sword) i did this and in many ways it tought me to control my anger and to practice self defense rather than offensive tactics like getting into street fights. This helps in many ways of channeling a childs want to fight into something productive for them.

·
allstar
8,374 Posts
i agree.
when i was young my granddad taught me about gun and i wont ever forget what he told me.
but as for mysself on my 18th birthday i went anmd bought a 12ga and love it!
i love to hunt.
and when i have kids i will take them hunting after teaching them the basics about guns then they go take their hunters safety course IF they
want to hunt ever again.
but i dont want to have my kids scared of guns.
THATS a ddangerous thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
v3 said:
My father kept a loaded 9mm in his sock drawer when I was a child.

He took me to the firing range with him, and showed me how dangerous it could be.

I was told to never touch it.

I stayed away from that sock drawer like it was the plauge.

Education is the key, HOWEVER I would never feel confortable with a loaded weapon withing reach of my child.
I grew up in a similar situation.
My dad had a locked closet with long rifles and other weapons. I knew where the guns were and the key to the closet but was told not to touch it and to ask if I wanted to see them. I was taught to shoot sometime in grade school.

I now have 3 kids all of whom are under 7 yrs of age. I keep no weapons loaded unless in the safe. I have taught my 6 yr old a little about it and he knows if he finds a gun in the house to find an adult and get away from it. He did find one once when we were working on the house and came and got me immediately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts