Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MR2 Owner
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an exhaust leak on my MR2 turbo which was created by a broken nut/stud on the top corner of my turbo manifold. Which of course means under heavy boosting my turbo has an annoying chugging effect and isn't holding full boost. I ordered all new nuts, studs, and gaskets from Toyota. 2 on the bottom came completely out with the studs, thank God! The other on the bottom broke which is better than not coming off. I already had one on top that was broke. One nut came off the top and I think the other broke. So I have one on the top middle of the manifold that WILL NOT come off! I have soaked everything in Liquid Wrench and still I've broken about 4 sockets, 1 extension, and 2 rethreading tools and wore down 2 chisels. The "Gator Grip" has NO effect at all. We've tried hammering a smaller socket on top and they won't go. Chiseling doesn't work either. I have a friend trying to get me a portable welder to try and weld a bolt on the end to have something to turn on. Another friend coming by today thinking he can chisel it off. Someone else is bringing a torch tomorrow. I don't think their is enough room for a nut extractor either. Other than that any ideas?

·
MR2 Owner
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it!

Came off with a cold chisel...still not out of the woods yet. Trying to remove as much of the exhaust below the turbo as possible...exhaust works sucks!!! Can't wait until it's all stainless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure what its called but there is some kind of socket that cuts into the nut allowing it to grab a rounded off nut. Wish I could be more help

·
MR2 Owner
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
juxsa said:
Not sure what its called but there is some kind of socket that cuts into the nut allowing it to grab a rounded off nut. Wish I could be more help
Thanks anyways...a friend actually got it off...cold chisel. Thanks for you help though, really.

·
Registered
73 Posts
juxsa said:
They are typically called 'Bolt-Outs' or something to that effect. They rifled inside so that they can grab onto what left of the bolt, just hammer them on the bolt, and carefully back it out.

To the OP, are you going to drill and tap the bock for the new stud and bolt?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts