Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully some of you might have an answer..

Basically to make a long story short, I have OEM HIDS in my Z, one bulb stopped working
so I decided to go ahead and just purchase 2 new D2R bulbs.

I purchased Philips Utilion bulbs which are 6000k

Great brand.. great price and have not had a problem since they were installed about 6 months ago

Money well spent...

Anyways.

- My old bulbs were 4300k, They had great output & were decently blue in color.
- My new bulbs which are 6000k, when they turn on and get 'warmed up'..they are really really
blue.. but as they warm up.. they turn white, which I guess for the most part is good..
better output.

I know when you go out and buy a Kit for a non Hid equipped car.. they are instantly blue
or whatever kelvin choice you wanted. But with it being a true HID bulb.. I wasnt sure if
I just need to wait and see what happens.

My question.. knowing that the bulbs are recently new and dont really have all that many
hours on them, Will they ever change or get back to the blue color at all?

Wasnt sure if anyone on here has noticed that before.

·
International Administrator
9,619 Posts
no...the kelvin range is the color output of the gas inside the capsule.

if you wanted stock again should have gotten 4300k...if you want the less light output gay blue ones...go 8000k and above.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no...the kelvin range is the color output of the gas inside the capsule.

if you wanted stock again should have gotten 4300k...if you want the less light output gay blue ones...go 8000k and above.
What im saying is that 4300k is OEM for my car, they were what i would conscider more 'hid' looking...

I went ahead and 'upgraded' to 6k.. but the color is what I would think would be LOWER than 4300k.

Oh well

·
No LS...no care
4,414 Posts
HID bulbs change color over their lifetime. Usually, replacement bulbs are around 6K or so because over time their color changes. Hell, mine are pretty damn blue for stock. But, it's because they have aged over time.

·
Super Moderhater
12,366 Posts
it wasnt an upgrade, it was a downgrade ...

however, the bulbs true color are when they have warmed up fully - the startup color isnt important, all HID bulbs will do this - but like brad said your old 4300Ks mightve started to lose their hue with age so maybe youre used to how they looked before they died

·
Diesel Dick
2,883 Posts
All HIDs I've seen are a whiteish color when they are cold and then after they warm up then they change to their color..

You could always be like my friend and have 3k headlights.. Those are bright as hell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts