Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

Honest opinions on rims

5K views 61 replies 16 participants last post by  ramman434 
#1 ·
Ok, so many of you know my predicament. I now currently have a set of ASA AR2's 18X7.5 with 225/40/18s. Now, there is nothing really wrong with these rims...but the weak sauce fitment is getting to me. If I ever plan to boost then I seriously need to consider a wider/better fitting setup.

Remembering this, I am still a college student. I fell in love with the SSR SP1's the second I saw them on an IS. Then I took a look at the price tag...over $2000 to $2500 easy for a staggered setup...just for rims. Still, I'm determined not to give up on such a good looking rim.

This brings us to the question (don't kill me Moody)...I looked in a set of Rota D2's. In all honesty, they look the same to me. Also, I would be able to purchase an entire setup for $830...easily reachable now. Plus, I don't track my car or ever plan on it. I just need some good wheels for a daily driver that I'm not afraid to get dirty or cry if I bang it up against a curb.

Here is the setup I can buy from Rota:

18x8 5x114.3+48mm (Front 2 Wheels)
18x9 5x114.3+50mm (Rear 2 Wheels)

I think this would work perfect (maybe not the offset) with a 235 up front and 255 out back.

Anyways...basically I need help deciding on this. Amir get in this thread asap.

How they look in the fitment I described.

See less See more
#2 ·
The offset on those Rotas makes baby Jesus cry.

Atleast you can afford some new wheels at this time, however I would personally save up til you can actually boost it, and then worry about wheels. ;)

#3 ·
The best part is that I can sell my current rims for a decent price and that will help pay for the new rims and tires. This time around I might get a semi decent set of summer tires. My current tires are great but lack grip. I'd probably look into a cheap set of Kumho SPT's.

#8 ·
I can't afford $2500 for rims...that's just too much for me at this point. I have too many other things to pay for. If I get D2's I could just sell my rims now and get a decent amount and not even pay that much for them. Yes, they are fake. Yes, they aren't as good. But when $2500 is a lot of money for me...I can't just go blowing it on something just because it is "real".

But...keep the feedback coming. I need to find a good offset.

#13 ·
I'm still up in the air for boosting the IS...plus it would be after college when I have a real job. That's when I'll be making bank (hopefully)...and I'll be able to throw down on some serious stuff. Being in college = owned.

#15 ·
well here is an 18x9 +33

and here it is with a 225 and he was asking if he should go with a smaller tire...

pretty much if you wanted to get the rotas the higher offsets would be the only ones that would work with what your wanting out of the car. If your whole purpose of the new wheel setup is for more tire then the +35 and +30 setup wouldnt be for you. Unless of course you are willing to cut and overfender the car...

#18 · (Edited)
check this out

from some is forums...
Here is a picture of Coolmonk's car with his BBS LM's (18x8+50 Front and 18x9.5+55 Rear with 225/40/18 Front and 265/35/18 Rear). He is dropped on Eibach Pro-kit and Koni's. Even with this offset, you have to roll the rear fender a bit.

not the best pic but to me thats some good fitment.

thats similar offsets and even wider in the rear. Too bad the rotas are not 9.5 wide for the rear because that fitment is nice and it only took a rear fender roll.

So if you think about it in terms of that car. You would have a half inch narrower wheel and it would be 5mm closer to the fender in the rear. The front would be almost the same only 2mm closer to the fender same width.

so if he ran a 225 front and 265 rear I would bet you could do 225 front and 255 in the rear and probably just need a slight rear roll.

#21 ·
i like the fitment lenny posted 18x8 +45...its funny that you post this bc i am going through the same thing...i saw some mugen m7s on a red s2k and i fell in love, but you cant find them anywhere...s2k fitment anyways...i say if you like it , rock em...i might be purchasing some rotas also if i cant find a wheel i like more then the m7, (jmag)

also to everybody saying how is he going to pay for boost if he cant afford 2500 for wheels, if he buys them then he is just another 2k away from it

#32 ·
The problem here is...that is 1550 for everything including tires. If I spent 2000 on just rims it would be around 25-2600 for everything. That is a lot more than just 1500. Plus...we all know I can't drive and I have curbed my rims. If I were to curb a precious Volk or Rays I would cry...no joke. If it were a Rota it'd be like $200 for a brand new rim.

#24 ·
My suggestion would be to not worry about new wheels. Especially downgrading wheels.(as far as brands). To change up the look and hold you over till you got out of college i would get yourself some nice spacers and paint the centers of your wheels gloss black. You could do that for only a couple hundred bucks and it would totally change the look of the car. Lastly if you just had to have some new wheels and couldnt wait till you graduate and all, then i would save some money, sell your wheels and search the boards for the real thing, SSR. You can find used sets for under 2k pretty easily which is only a few more hundred that what you would be spending on some copies. I mean you dont buy fake Nike's, fake North face, fake Oakleys, fake shit in general do you? Then dont buy fake, direct copy wheels. Save your money and look for something in the low 40's as far as the offset goes.

#31 ·
All the finishes on the wheels on RBwheels looks like crap. I'm guessing you could clean them up pretty good though.

How much can you get those Enkei's for Amir? The problem with most of those choices is they aren't the right size/offset. The closest are the Work S2's but they are still more than the Rotas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.