Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1991 Suzuki Bandit 400cc. I can't get the thing to start. I bought it after test driving it for about 15 minutes and everything was great, it died once, but I was able to start it right back up. I knew the bike had some fueling issues, but I bought it anything because they weren't severe.

Riding it home, it began to lose power very quickly, when I went to downshift to keep going, it stalled completely. I couldn't get it to start again, so I began tapping on the carbs because there was nothing else to do at the moment, and it started and I was able to ride it another couple miles. It finally did the same thing again and I wasn't able to start it.

I took it to a repair shop and the guy said it was the floats. He changed them saying they were causing Cylinder 3 to fill with fuel which was stalling the motor. Okay. He replaced them, I rode the bike for about 15 minutes and the bike started doing it again. Took it back to him. He "fixed it". Didn't. Took it back. He "fixed" it. Didn't. Then I took it back a third time, each time I was able to ride the bike for 10 minutes or so before it started being dumb.

Since the shop obviously can't fix the problem, I'm going to. Any suggestions? I assume I'm going to be doing a lot of fuel tuning with it...where do I start? lol I've been reading a lot, but I'm hoping for some experience.

·
rolls british
563 Posts
Go to a Kawi delearship

·
rolls british
563 Posts
Same diff there usally the same shop

·
I Turn
441 Posts
Trash in the fuel tank? Clogged jets can act like you're describing. So will a bad ignition box. As the box warms up, it goes all screwy (technically, as temperature rises, resistance rises, exposing burned connections and tired old components) then it gets better after dude fiddles with it some (and it cools down). CDI boxes are cheap, and if the PO didn't replace it at some point you probably should anyway. Also do plugs, and wires and change the oil about 3 times. Air cooled motors are vicious on oil life, especially if they've been neglected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts