Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for a friend of mine, because he and I know pretty much nothing about rotaries, which please save the flame because this is why I already told him not to get one, but he wanted one so he did. He has an 87 FC, non turbo, and the engine bay was cleaned up pretty good, has almost everything thing that could have been, taken out of it for more performance. It's not in great condition, but ran fine so I've heard. Now he has a problem that his car wont start, its not his battery but possibly a short? because it powers everything just wont start the engine, and he can't figure out the problem, please help rotary people! I'm trying to get him registered on here so that he can help explain more and talk with, but thanks!

·
OG Inactive phoTOGgrapher
4,582 Posts
Abdoice23 said:
I'm posting this for a friend of mine, because he and I know pretty much nothing about rotaries, which please save the flame because this is why I already told him not to get one, but he wanted one so he did. He has an 87 FD, non turbo, and the engine bay was cleaned up pretty good, has almost everything thing that could have been, taken out of it for more performance. It's not in great condition, but ran fine so I've heard. Now he has a problem that his car wont start, its not his battery but possibly a short? because it powers everything just wont start the engine, and he can't figure out the problem, please help rotary people! I'm trying to get him registered on here so that he can help explain more and talk with, but thanks!
87 would make it a FC not a FD.

·
WAT.biz
5,115 Posts
Did it run before he got it, and it just quit all of a sudden or what?

Typical things for not starting....check the injectors, mafs, clogged cat, timing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad I thought it was called FD, I don't know anything about RX-7s lol, I'll edit it tho thanks for pointing that out.

·
OG Inactive phoTOGgrapher
4,582 Posts
This is a FD.

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
Does it crank over?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it turns over there is a good chance its just flooded. He can pull the fuel pump relay and crank it for a bit to get out the unburned fuel then replace it and try to crank it. If it starts let it run for a bit to make sure it warms up. If you got the space you may be able to push start it. Thats a couple of things I had to do to my 86 when it flooded.

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Leftlane said:
3 basic things you need for a motor to run.

Air
Fuel
Spark

go from there
also check starter, and what makes you sure the battery ive a had a dead batterys and the lights and insturments work, they dont draw much power. do like leftlane and boosteds14.5 said and come back and let us know

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! yes I know what FD is now lol. Also, it ran fine from what I know when he first got it, and I think he already checked the starter. I'll try to have him get on here tomorrow and explain more, and try these things out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
if it cranks but wont start...check the alternator fusable link...mine shorted out on my old car but i couldnt figure out why...it would crank and get fuel but it wouldnt start....if all else fails get a test light and go to town start with the ovious like the alternator and work your way down to anything that gets power....id say a relay or something electrical...

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
Abdoice23 said:
Thanks for all the help guys! yes I know what FD is now lol. Also, it ran fine from what I know when he first got it, and I think he already checked the starter. I'll try to have him get on here tomorrow and explain more, and try these things out.
So it won't crank then? If so, are u sure u are getting the 12v signal to the starter?

·
fire breathing triangle
487 Posts
put a v8 in it and prob solved... rights guys :thumbup: 8)

1. does it crank?
2. if so then check plugs
3. then check the exhaust for the smell of fuel if its cranking
4. if it gets flooded. pop hood and find the EGI FUSE pull it out and crank engine for 10-15 seconds then replace and crank it

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha its ok Zep, that's my friend saying that about the guy that owns this car. Apparently, he told him what to do before this "problem" got really bad, and because he ignored him completely we all see the end of that story lol. But yea Jared you should do a welcome post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts