Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

Kit's Z32 Project

22K views 318 replies 59 participants last post by  TT Fairlady Z 
#1 · (Edited)
okay so I have had my Z for a few months... but i never started one of these threads... So here we go...

I picked up my Z from a guy named Adam in Chattanooga for 4500... fell in love with it on the way home... I have big plans for it in the long run... its all a matter of makin the money to do it all...

So since i bought it I have spent:

Rebuilt Stock Turbos: 400
Timing Belt: 50
Timing Belt Tensioner: 175
VCT Cam Springs: 25
Rear Embelem set: 30
2 Keys: 30
Exhaust Gaskets: 35
Twin Turbo Rear Wheels: 40
Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs: 180
Stock Nose Panel: 40
Yellow Top Optima Battery: 150
Rattle Can Spray Paint and Sand Paper: 57
Brakes All Around: 350
EGR Elimination kit: 35
2 Motor Mounts: 176
Trubo Gaskets W/oil Feed Lines: 188
RPS Street Clutch: 391
Cowl Panel Kit: 260
Underdrive Pulley Kit:435
Oil Pan:240
Hid's (highs, lows, and fogs):360
VCT Solenoids:36
Motegi Tougges:250
Fmic:150
Falken Tires for Tougges: 572
Lugs: 35
Boost Leak Tester: 25
6 3 Bolt Exhaust Gaskets: 42
Godspeed FMIC Kit: 400
6 Stock Injectors: 160
6 Pintle Caps: 30
Fuel Injector O Ring Set: 21
Coolant Temp Sensor (Dash): 45
Window Tint: 195
PCV Valves: 10
2 Upper Intake gaskets: 20
10Ft. Injectoin Hose: 45
Random Clamps: 10
Detonatoin Sensor & Sub Harness: 125
Mud Flaps: 40

*Hardcore Horespower Bill: 4919*

Over all shipping for everything: 92

Total: $10,869

(Ill keep adding to this list as i think of stuff that i have bought and as i buy more parts of course)

When i bought it i knew i had to replace the passenger side turbo. So i got my hands on some decent turbos to run until i was ready to swap my bigger set up. Unfortunatly i had it on the road for about 2 weeks and it developed a knock. I researched it and heard it might be a timing belt tensioner. So i put a new timing belt and tensioner in it hoping it would help. It wasnt the tensioner so i took it to a guy who is great with high HP cars and he told me it was a rod bearing. So i let him take it to swap the turbos and fix the rod bearing. Its been there ever since.

This past weekend i picked up a TT motor in nashville and tore it down. I had a deal worked out with a guy that if i went and got the motor and removed the top end i could have the botom end. So now i have a usable crank and rod bearings. I was looking to spend about 600 dollars for a machined crank and oversized bearings. So that will save some cash.

To be totally honest the motor that i tore down to salvage the bottom end out of was the first time i had ever gone into a motor. I have dont the little things to cars but that was the first time i really got into a motor. Im not gonna lie i had a blast doin it all too. I thought it was a hell of a lot harder and i was afraid to try it. Now i wish i could have taken the time myself to do the rod bearing and the turbo swap. The downside is that ill be spending about 3500 after i get it back. The upside is that i will have a boosted car that i know isnt going to develop a problem any time soon. Which i think is extremely valuble. Of course next time i actually do have a problem ill sure as hell be doing it myself. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

So yea thats where i am at now. The block that i got from the deal is going to be the base of my build. So the sky is the limit from here. Ill update as things progress.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay so it has been a while since i had a chance to update... but the motor is torn down i have my crank back and as soon as i get paid and get the gasket set i need the motor will be reassembled... So yea i went to the shop Monday or Tuesday and Mike had a suprise for me...

Yep... thats a rats nest... apparently before i owned the car a mischevious lil critter found its way between my firewall and made a little home under my lower plenum... But besides that i havent had any bad news from my motor...

Ive been pretty bored around the house and did a few little projects for the Z...

Throttle cable cover:

TT rear wheels:

Nose Panel:

They all look pretty descent... Im just using different gritts of sand paper and rattle can paint for these so i think they turned out pretty good...

#7 ·
v3 said:
Damn Kit......you got a rat powered Z :shock:
yea you didnt hear??? i found out it was a couple of your cousins who infested that som bitch... lol jk jk

#8 ·
thanks for the compliments and the help offers... im sure ill take yall up on that when the time comes... im a noob too with my Z so im learning as i go... The rats nest really caught me off guard... im suggesting that it sat in one spot for a while because the tires are all dry rotted to hell and the fact i had a actual rats under the lower plenum... but yea the fix is going as fast as i get money... ive actuallly considered hittin up some corners in nashville... :lol: :lol: :lol: updates will come probably wed or thursday of next week... :thumbup:

#10 ·
okay so there really isnt a lot more news.. mike has ordered the bearings and the gasket set so i can get everything back together... im actually gettin a credit card so i can get my clutch, egr elimination, motor mounts, and trubo gaskets... most ppl hate credit cards but im just using it to get what i want now... and i can pay it off in less than 2 months so it will help me with my credit score a little bit... so things are moving along... slowly but surely...

I picked up my HKS Hipower cat back the other night... snapped a couple of pictures of it before i ran it over to the shop this morning,,,

#16 · (Edited)
inNeedIndeed said:
maybe he did that so he didnt have metal to metal on the car?...
maybe he was drying them off and just left the towels on there? The possibilities really are endless, but I would like to think it was what I said.
________
New jersey medical marijuana dispensaries

#17 ·
rwall7 said:
inNeedIndeed said:
maybe he did that so he didnt have metal to metal on the car?...
maybe he was drying them off and just left the towels on there? The possibilities really are endless, but I would like to think it was what I said.
naw... it served as a cushion... i dint want the trunk to bounce around a lil and dent them up... i know they are an exhaust and they will probably get scrapped and banged up eventually but i want them to look as clean as i can for now

#18 ·
Okay so for a minor update... i ordered the parts i needed yesterday...

egr elimination: $35
2 motor mounts: $176
clutch: $391
turbo gaskets w/ oil feed lines: $188
the thought that im getting closer: priceless :mrgreen:

after shipping it ended up bein like 810... now all i have to do is buy fluids and some spark plugs and ill be ready to get that monster back together... and pay off the labor at the shop of course... lol

#20 ·
So my parts came in...

Clutch, EGR elimination, 2 motor mounts, and some turbo gaskets with oil feed lines...

I kinda quit my job at taco bell and got one at Toyota workin with Sagastino... i barley had time to get these parts before i had to be in at toyota... but ill get everything over to the shop soon... ill update again when i get some more info...

#22 ·
okay... weak update... finally saw mikes truck at the shop between jobs and he injured his arm in the bike accident he had... so he wont be able to work on the Z for at least 4 to 5 weeks... :(

#24 ·
id say hell yea... but he is the kind of guy who wants to do it all himself... i was suprised when he let me come in and take off the timing belt on mine... its okay i guess... im gonna go ahead and get a new set of tires and a couple of other misc things... ill keep everything posted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.