Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

Locost 7 rebuild/MX-5 swap

20K views 177 replies 31 participants last post by  Rx7 Vinnie 
#1 ·
Ok i bought the The Locost (Lotus 7 replica) last year With the intentions to eventually throw another drivetrain in it because i dont really like what it has.
Im allmost embarrassed :oops: to tell ppl what kinda motor is in it ha.
But it has a 1.9 Saturn engine w/ getto rigged Carburetor, mounted to a Toyota AUTO tranny. The car is still a blast to drive & i have a alot of fun in it but its a bet slow & the auto kills the experience.

But before we can get to the Locost We got to Strip the Miata. I picked it up last dec in Kingsport tn, The body is in very bad shape but it runs good & came with a 6speed & a Hard Dog Rollbar. Allso my g/f has a Miata so there are peaces here & there she can use.

we started stripping her last night & got alot done.

This is what a miata on the floor looks like

Hoping to strip ;-) some more later ......to be continued

See less See more
#164 ·
Thanks!

Its been a min since ive updated.
I started working on my Boot cover & decided to add a 3in plate along the back where the cover & the seat belt mount to.
Welding above the fuel tank is allways fun.

The boot cover i got is from a real Caterham & doesnt really fit perfect so its a lil winkly =/ but it works.
Allso finished mounting my Corbeau Seat belts.

I Got around to making my new dash last week & installed my new gauges & kill switch.
Aswell as installed a passenger foot rest.

Now i havnt wired the gauges yet, the MPH gauge uses gps so i can get rid of the speedo cable. allso waiting on a progressive shift light to come in.

#165 ·
Can you give me a ride in this? I am looking at buying one with a R1 engine but will have to buy sight unseen as its too far away to see in person. The guy has sent me a few videos and it looks like crazy fun plus a sequential tranny is amazing compared to H pattern. I am waffling about it now but I have a feeling if i actually rode in one I would buy it in a heartbeat.

#174 ·
Man i haven't updated this in ages,
I haven't done very much the past few months.
I had a new roll bar welded up.
Installed a Megasquirt pnp 2
An Innovated Wideband w gauge
welded on another Bong for wideband
installed a IAT sensor & removed the big ass MAF box & relocated the Intake so it gets better air flow.
After installing the megasquirt the car hasnt been running to hot, & is rich as shit
So she needs some tuning.

Ive allso been busy with the Toybaru & rebuilding the G/f Miata

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.