Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Head Baconator
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for debate purposes, who do you think would make a good moderator?

What qualities does a good moderator need to possess? What does a moderator need to do, or need not to do?

Discuss.

I'll contribute my opinion after I hear a few of you guys opinions.

·
Registered
982 Posts
well i think it would have to be someone who is on here alot soo they could watch the post :thumbup: and it would have to be someone who gets along with most everyone thats what i think (AND KNOWS ALL THE RULES ) :mrgreen:
and yes very well said
mods need to be the voice of reason and maturity.

not just some jackass thats gonna abuse their power.

·
Head Baconator
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StatixNWH said:
someone who has to agree 100% of what the admin thinks......
No, what you should have said was, "someone who knows how to show respect and discuss things in a calm, mature manner with the administrator and other moderators"

I didn't start this thread to fight with anyone so I'd appreciate it if you didn't use every opportunity to make jabs at me.

·
Super Freq
2,987 Posts
someone that knows what's acceptable to be seen by outside browsers to keep the image of the site up.

treats everyone equal no matter how they act, if they're friends or not, or if they're FROM A DIFFERENT COUNTRY.

on enough to see the majority of threads to monitor people's actions also to keep an eye on classifieds frequently to see if any of them need locking or if they were laid out improperly.

more importantly, respects other mods' and admin's decisions.

·
Technology Junkie!!!!!!!!
3,579 Posts
some one with a strong sense of humor, yet reason , the ability to put ones interest aside and look at the whole picture. andforemost the ability to quaile a situation. The Main thing I guess in this forum would be the ability to mke sure the thread is stayin on track and is placed correctly.

·
No LS...no care
4,414 Posts
A good moderator is someone who can keep a level head and calm yet enforce the rules as needed. They can monitor threads and make sure things keep under control while blending in just like any other member. Most important, treat members and other mods/admins with respect and dignity.

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
I agree with everybody here James... save the comment from David about agreeing with the Admin.

Levelheaded, shows equality and fairness... doesn't abuse their power, locks and deletes threads that violate TOS regardless of who posted them.... along with other things.

·
Super Moderhater
12,366 Posts
me

i may fuck around a lot and shit talk and all that, but thats all in good fun - i know im tooting my own horn here, but i know you'd agree that almost everyone ive met on tennspeed knows that im a decent guy, James

plus, i dont miss a thread - im glued to this damn intarweb :lol:

·
Top Ninja
2,081 Posts
Probably should consider these points for a moderator.

A user that regularly visits and contributes to the forum is typically a prime candidate for a moderator role. Other members of the community already know them, they understand what is acceptable and what is not, and a sustained rate of activity actually proves that they aren’t fly-by-nighters - in other words, they are reliable.

Generally, they are very knowledgeable about the subject matter of the forum. For example, you would expect the person to provide a certain degree of insight and well thought out messages rather than countless one line posts; “I agree!”, “Well said!”, and so on don’t cut it. Once they are elevated to the position of moderator, they will be an authority on the matter, so you want them to lead by example. Their new rank or username colour - or whatever is associated with the new position - will set them apart from the rest, and the readers of the forum will subconsciously take extra notice of what a moderator (or administrator) has to say.

Generally, post count should not play a part. If the user you want to promote has been active over a long period, then this will probably be reflected in their post count. Be aware though, that promoting a user with a low post count will draw more attention to the selection than promoting a user with a high post count. While both may be equally deserving, the user with a higher post count may feel hardly done by because it would appear that they have contributed more to the forum.

There are other factors you may need to consider, such as command of the language or how much time you will want the user to commit to moderating, but these are very much dependent on the style of your forum and tend not to be an issue.

*** I never thought about how mods are chosen before so I googled a bit on what makes a good moderator.***

I hope this helps.

·
Mod
19,933 Posts
My main input is that a moderator needs to remember they are representative of the admins and the site, just as a paid employee is the representative of their company's owner and the company as a whole. Therefore, a mod needs to avoid getting into personal arguments with members and rather enforce the rules in a clear and concise manner. Mods sacrifice their right to freely express their opinion in exchange for their ability to more directly influence the site.

·
Drives
3,052 Posts
I dono someone who has a sense of humor and well smart or well as mature as anyone on here I guess.

I would probably be a pretty good mod, I follow all the guidelines people put up just now...mostly I guess
Choose wisely in your mod search and hope you pick a good one.
A moderator needs to know when a thread needs to be locked or moved to trash talk instead of instigating it
as well. They need to contribute ideas and their opinion about and or on the site. People need to know them or
have met them before and well like them of course.

·
I <3 wheels.
1,756 Posts
Moody, or myself... I will be on here a lot more at night... Im not really biased towards anyone... I also think Moody would be good since he has a chance to read a lot, and can be serious if BU isnt involved....

I would still like to see what a few days of spoolster as a mod would do... haha

·
Banned
747 Posts
Ventolin said:
StatixNWH said:
someone who has to agree 100% of what the admin thinks......
No, what you should have said was, "someone who knows how to show respect and discuss things in a calm, mature manner with the administrator and other moderators"

I didn't start this thread to fight with anyone so I'd appreciate it if you didn't use every opportunity to make jabs at me.
ba dum tsss

·
Banned
747 Posts
Miracle said:
I agree with everybody here James... save the comment from David about agreeing with the Admin.

Levelheaded, shows equality and fairness... doesn't abuse their power, locks and deletes threads that violate TOS regardless of who posted them.... along with other things.
How about a moderator that doesn't edit someone's post?? Or did you think I would forget?

·
SCFTW
7,547 Posts
pocketmidget said:
How about a moderator that doesn't edit someone's post?? Or did you think I would forget?
When the person's post violates the TennSpeed TOS, or is clearly in bad taste, you are supposed to edit/delete the comment.

Which post are you talking about, specifically.

·
I drive a 5.SLOW mustang
994 Posts
umcool911ok said:
We need another mod like Miracle. He is a good n
dang son you may wanna get that brown off your nose! :lol:

jk but serious miracle is a good one
except he called me out on adding cid to my user name 8)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts