Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol:

Some of you may know me from Full Throttle...
Some of you may know me from UTK FSAE / Baja


I'm a race car guy. I am a mechanical engineer by day and a race engineer by night. Some of you saw my post about the GTP Corvette... and the subsequent landspeed record car. This is a further offshoot from that based on the transaxle I developed for the landspeed car.

Meet my LMGTP street car plan...


Steel chassis
Fiber body
V8 Mustang engine (Teksid - 4.6 Aluminum DOHC)
Twin Turbo
6 Speed dog transaxle
Electric water pump
Electric power steering
Double A-arm suspension
Pull-rod motion
18x12 fronts
18x14 rears
blah
blah
blah


Here is my basic layout... as well as a couple engine shots showing the 32 valves of hotness...






8)


It will be a play thing and a grocery getter... but will indeed be street legal.

Wheelbase is 9' exactly, trackwidth is 6'6"
Target weight is 1200lbs


I'm building this in my apartment and at my shop, so I'll be frequent with updates and pics...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
looks awsome man.. wish i was smart enough to layout something like that lol.. cant wait to see more updates!
 

·
Super Moderhater
Joined
·
12,366 Posts
looks a bit cookie-cutter IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
venom_5 said:
looks a bit cookie-cutter IMO
Like there are lots of them on the road :p
 

·
I <3 wheels.
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
I dont see how anyone can do Autodesk for a job... I thought it was what i wanted to do... took it for 6 years and wanted to scrape my eyes out I had done it so much.... oddly, I miss it now...



Keep the pics coming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good2GetBlown said:
I dont see how anyone can do Autodesk for a job... I thought it was what i wanted to do... took it for 6 years and wanted to scrape my eyes out I had done it so much.... oddly, I miss it now...



Keep the pics coming
The funny thing is I do very little CAD work at my job. I do much more programming, customizations, training, etc. My job is to take a company's junk methods and turn them into lean processes using Autodesk software... and thank the lord only about 5% of them use plain AutoCAD.




BTW, that layout image is just to show basic shape... I am not designing this in AutoCAD but rather in Alias Studio and Inventor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually found a Teksid on Craigslist here in Knoxville for $200. The scrap value of the aluminum in the engine and heads is worth that alone, so it was a win-win, haha. I would have liked to have gotten the 5.4DOHC with the GT manifold/head, but the cost was crazy. With a little boost I can turn the wick up on this one nicely. I've already got a set of forged pistons and rods since they are the weak spot in the Teksid. Should be good for 750+ hp when I'm done with it
 

·
I drive a 5.SLOW mustang
Joined
·
994 Posts
Autodesk Engineer said:
I actually found a Teksid on Craigslist here in Knoxville for $200. The scrap value of the aluminum in the engine and heads is worth that alone, so it was a win-win, haha. I would have liked to have gotten the 5.4DOHC with the GT manifold/head, but the cost was crazy. With a little boost I can turn the wick up on this one nicely. I've already got a set of forged pistons and rods since they are the weak spot in the Teksid. Should be good for 750+ hp when I'm done with it
you got a freakin deal!
that har 4.6 swap into my mustang written all over it
wish i woulda found that first haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah it did have a problem in that one of the 5 bellhousing holes broke free... but 5 minutes with the TIG, a drill, and a helicoil all is well. Everything else seems to be great. the guy who sold it to me had it listed for $300 but I complained about the broken bolt hole and got it for cheap.

Came with the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, IMRC, throttle, starter, pumps, etc. I scraped the stainless exhaust manifolds to recoup some cash, too, plus they had those pre-cats on them that fetched some extra money for the platinum.


All in all, it was a fantastic investment for what it is. I do need to rebuild it, but I couldn't care less about that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
Very cool, good luck!
 

·
I drive a 5.SLOW mustang
Joined
·
994 Posts
Autodesk Engineer said:
Yeah it did have a problem in that one of the 5 bellhousing holes broke free... but 5 minutes with the TIG, a drill, and a helicoil all is well. Everything else seems to be great. the guy who sold it to me had it listed for $300 but I complained about the broken bolt hole and got it for cheap.

Came with the exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, IMRC, throttle, starter, pumps, etc. I scraped the stainless exhaust manifolds to recoup some cash, too, plus they had those pre-cats on them that fetched some extra money for the platinum.


All in all, it was a fantastic investment for what it is. I do need to rebuild it, but I couldn't care less about that...
when you do check out dssracing.com
they got some BA stuff for 4.6's


edit: sorry forgot you already had your internals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
cool project. I guess this answers my PM question i sent you.. I'm assuming the land speed car doesn't have the giant wing on the back? Just a curiousity question but why not an LSxx series small block(unless your mind is set on boosting obviously)? Just seems like a better choice all around..less weight and pretty much a little better in every aspect.

P.S.-don't want to spam your thread but could you PM me about the possibility of some design work?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top