Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its 5:30 and I am watching the news. they just said that the u.s. government is considering raising the legal driving age to 18. they are considering this because the leading causeof death of 16-17 year olds is car accidents. apparently we are one of the few countries that our driving age starts at 16 most start at 18 anyway. it won't affect me. I just figured I'd let you know. what are your opinions about this?

I think its a decent idea I know when I was 16 I drove like a dumbass all the time. and there was a few close calls for me

·
too many projects
3,555 Posts
It's a good idea. :thumbup:

·
Drives
3,052 Posts
I just turned 17 and I DON'T drive like a dumbass. There are very few exceptions. Everyone
at my school drives like an idiot. I think anyone between 16 and 17 that has caused a wreck or has
a few speeding tickets should get it taken away. Not people who drive safe and have no tickets or has
been in a wreck **knock on wood**

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yea, 21 would be cool....You can die for your country at 18 but, can't legally drive until 3 years after that...

·
too many projects
3,555 Posts
Dark Squad said:
Im down to make it 21
Eh maybe.

I'm over 21, but maybe making the age over 18 would make getting to and from college and work pretty difficult for some.

Definitely at least 18 and much stiffer requirements for licensing. However, maybe you can get an off-road track license at 16 to tide you over until 18.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Id say move it out one year to 17 and require a permit at 16 and you must have this permit for at least a year and complete an 8 hour driving course before you can get your license. It isnt really about age its about our poor excuse for driver training.. Basically you can read a book, take a test, go on a 10 minute drive and bam you have a license. Also after that you never have to get tested again and or take any driver training. Its fucking stupid. Our leadership in this country is lazy as fuck and doesnt wanna fix anything, they just want to take the easiest route.

·
Registered
398 Posts
it actually works alot better at 18, you should have a permit from 16-18 and your school record should be reviewed for those two years, if this happened we would see a severe drop in fatal car crashes and accidents in general. Right now it's kind of like here you go, have a liscense out of a cereal box.

·
Hater-Supreme
4,615 Posts
shawnpepper said:
it actually works alot better at 18, you should have a permit from 16-18 and your school record should be reviewed for those two years, if this happened we would see a severe drop in fatal car crashes and accidents in general. Right now it's kind of like here you go, have a liscense out of a cereal box.
This is the honest truth - the laws in this country (and the excuses that we, as citizens, along with the government's will to make appeasements for them in the first place) are the reason why people are allowed, point blank, to act like fucking idiots and get away with it. The global associates that we keep (all countries), honestly, make fun of us, because of all of the mindlessness that occurs here, and the excuses that our court system finds to not punish people, or hold some kind of responsibility over their heads. Kids driving and killing themselves (and others) is often not even a criminal offense to the point of jailtime, and it's the aforementioned bullshit excuses, and the "they've been through enough" *clause* that causes these people to actually believe this in the first place - it's a common reinforcement of idiot-ideals.

Kids should not have the privelidge to drive until they're 18 years old; it should come along with the right to vote, and be declared a legal adult.

·
International Administrator
9,619 Posts
i really really hope they move it to 18...please. youth of america get dumber with every generation.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think they just need to change the way they have the test.
I took my drivers test in Michigan and it was not a piece of cake, not at all..
it was more than a one page test and it wasnt a drive around the block neither. ( you all are lucky)
When i moved down here i had to get a drivers license (because before i had a permit)
and it was extremely easy.
The motorcycle liccense was around the block and also very easy.

I think its the test.

·
n00b
695 Posts
spot on, moody. also, getting your license should not be so inexpensive. over in europe, it costs a couple grand to get one. most high school kids will come over here for a foreign exchange, get their license, and then get it transferred over there because its cheaper. also, drivers ed is a joke. how is a 4 month class in high school (that is optional) supposed to prepare you for real world driving. the only problem with changing the driving age/restrictions is our lack of acceptable public transportation.

well fuck, half the adults around here cant even drive. fucking middle-aged people trying to learn to text while merging is a disaster.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A good example is coming up to a four way stop and have an SUV almost slam into you going through a stop sign (speeding up)

.. lucky i was in front of a hospital :roll:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pushing the age back is only going to take away years of experience. When I got my license I had driven a car maybe a few times between then and the time I got my permit and the driving test was EASY; I could've passed it piss drunk.

+1 for stricter driver education.

I see dumbasses that are over 18 swerving all over the place trying to type out text messages all the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if we adopted England and Germany ways...

they hang your ass if you get a DUI lol

But paying a lot to drive when we are already paying a shit ass ton of taxes, would make people drive without a driver license.
Of course a few people do now but it could get worse. :thumbdown:

i will agree with Tim MCGraw..
having experience will make you get better.
its like riding a bike but not in traffic lol

regardless teenagers are going to do stupid things

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with the 8 hour driving class. I took one 2 years ago when I first got my license. it was a good class and we had to sit in a classroom for 8 hours a day for four saturdays .the class was actually pretty cool

·
Riding the Bandwagon
1,234 Posts
I, as a sixteen year old that doesnt drive like a douche, say this is bullshit.

I'll read into this later when I'm not at school and express my full opinion. lol

G

·
where I got my license, all you had to do is drive around the block maybe half a mile. No written....I think instead of raising the driving age they just need to require drivers ed and make the driving test a lot harder.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts