Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OG founder
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my friend just bought a 95 tsi ( from this site, its black 95 tsi with cloth intr )

Well me and him met up and drove each others cars.

He pointed out a problem, and then called me this morning to say it got alot worse.

Last night when i drove it, I saw what he was talking about.

5th gear seems to have a problem.
1-4 shift and accel/decel just fine and smooth.
But when in 5th gear, No matter what rpm your at, it feels like its too low... Like your gonna stall...
you still accelerate but it feels like your gonna stall.

You know, when your in third gear and rpms are too low, kinda shakey so you downshift?
WELL its that, only with 5th gear. And it doesnt matter what rpm it is.
We were doing 70mph in 5th gear around 3k rpm and if I tried to accelerate it felt like the rpms were too low.

What could the problem be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Has the cel came on? Have you done a boost leak test? Check the plugs and wires? Make sure the bov is still recurculated and not leaking? Check all your intercooler piping? Does it have a boost gauge if so what is it reading in 5th gear? The motor isnt going to have as much of a load in 5th as it does in the other gears so the turbo isnt going to pull as hard as other gears. You feel more in yours from having exhaust and holing more boost. If im not mistaken the stock bov starts letting off at 10-12 psi.

·
Dip time
10,395 Posts
Is this the one I had posted? hurmm, Ill ask the previous owner if he noticed anything (although he isn't to car smart) So all your saying is in 5th gear it just bogs to low? I dont know DSM gearing but obviously you could compare it to yours.

·
Technology Junkie!!!!!!!!
3,579 Posts
could there be some sort of vacumn problem or speed sensor issue

·
WAT.biz
5,115 Posts
my car acted like that when i was throwing knock sensor code. id go wot and you could hear the turbo spooling and such, it just wasnt pulling like it usually did.

·
n00b
695 Posts
bluetlr2001 said:
The motor isnt going to have as much of a load in 5th as it does in the other gears so the turbo isnt going to pull as hard as other gears.

wrong. 5th gear has the most load because it has no gear reduction. it doesnt pull as hard in 5th because you have less torque to the wheels than in any other gear.

as for your problem jose, id start with a boost leak test. also, if you could hook up a wideband temporarily, it would probably help a lot to know the af reading. hows the fuel pressure?

·
Registered
198 Posts
duncan said:
bluetlr2001 said:
The motor isnt going to have as much of a load in 5th as it does in the other gears so the turbo isnt going to pull as hard as other gears.

wrong. 5th gear has the most load because it has no gear reduction. it doesnt pull as hard in 5th because you have less torque to the wheels than in any other gear.
Sorry i was thinking backwards.

·
Registered
89 Posts
jabboss1 said:
could there be some sort of vacumn problem or speed sensor issue
I've driven with the speed sensor completely unplugged so thats shouldn't make a difference.
+1 on the boost leak test.

·
Registered
431 Posts
my old tsi did exactely this when i put my stock bov back on from the greddy S because i didnt recirculate it or something but it did it in every gear right as it started to spool idk if it could be the same problem

·
Registered
89 Posts
The stock BOV is a piece of plastic, it sucks in general, and if you didn't recirculate it, no wonder the car ran like shit, did you at least plug the hole to the intake?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts