Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MFG Racing's 88' Starion Dragcar

OK, so I have been modifying dsm's for over 10 years now. I have also always loved the Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest.
For many many years I have been into the drag racing scene also. About a month ago I found a 1988 Mitsubishi Starion that at one point
in its's life, it dominated the dragstrip. I found the car online, and aquired about it. After days of putting off going to look at it,
I finally did. Low and behold when I arrived to check it out, I was shocked at what I was looking at. There were Buschur Racing Stickers
& other various Sponser's all over the car. As I looked over the car I was seeing a Skinnies on the front and Fatties on the rear, 12point
roll cage, kirkey aluminum seat, RCI 5 Gallon fuel cell, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, MSD ignition Etc.. After looking a few more minutes,
I told the lady that I was going to get the cash right then. I figured for $1000.00 there was no way in hell that I could pass up this offer.

A few hours later I returned with the Cash and a Trailer ready to take this puppy home. After loading her up, and the 2 minute drive
home "yes,it sat in a field less than a mile away from my house for 3 years", I began to look over everything & the large tote of parts that
came with it. I added everything up and the value in Brand New parts alone was over $5,000. One could only imagine the excitment that I was
feeling. As Quagmire once said "DEAR Diary.....JACKPOT!!!!". I started off by giving her a much need bath, after sitting for many years
in a field under tree's you could only imagine how many times I rewashed. Did I mention it was under 30 degrees outside, lol. Then I covered
her up with my new $150.00 car cover that was a gift a year ago. A few days later I began to come up with ideas for the project at hand. I
have taken my thoughts and put them into motion. I have ordered many parts over the past couple of weekss, the next few weeks I will be getting
down to business.
I have started on things already, I will Post photo's when I am able to.

Included are:
- Moving the seat back 9 inches (I am 6'4")
- Installed Nitrous Bottle Bracket Mounts, Brackets, Bottle and Saftey Blowdown Tube
- Installed 4G63 Drag Prep'd Motor
- Started to install ParaChute Release Cable
- Installed Fuel Pressure Regulator & Lines
- Installed Trans Brake Button, Wiring
- Removed All The ClusterF*** Wiring

I have ordered the powerglide transmission, it should be here by the end of the week. I have already got in: Parachute, Parachute Release Kit..
As I go along in the next few weeks I am try to snap as many photos as I can during the build. There are many MANY things that I have fixed and
will be fixing that the previous owners screwed up. But so far things are going well. Please give your positive thoughts on the build...

Her are a few Starters from before I did anything, until I get a new camera and start taking more photos.

·
Derp
1,151 Posts
Fucking awesome! I hope I get to see it one day. I love the 80's stereo and dash, all kinds of levels and buttons. Awesome pick up, man! Do you know any of it's past?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Fucking awesome! I hope I get to see it one day. I love the 80's stereo and dash, all kinds of levels and buttons. Awesome pick up, man! Do you know any of it's past?

I know 100% of it's past, I have every piece of documentation, reciepts, stickers, manuals etc. Also everything that was documented also has photographs.

nice find
any rust on the car?
Rust is very minimal if any...

·
dsm whore
1,925 Posts
Saw this at the shop and thing is nasty as hell.. Deff going to be a fun car lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You along with everyone else will get many chances to chieck it out. I am going to concentrate on getting everything finished & tweaked this year & come out real strong next season. I will be at many events at many location this year getting all the bugs worked out. I look forward to seeing what I can bring to the table for the Starion in the drag racing community.

·
Hater-Supreme
4,615 Posts
Man, seeing that car makes me really, really miss mine. You got that roller for $1,000? No way man! NO WAY! I'd love to see it in person one day.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, seeing that car makes me really, really miss mine. You got that roller for $1,000? No way man! NO WAY! I'd love to see it in person one day.
Yeah, I just couldn't pass it up. I just couldn't believe that it has been sitting in a field pretty much across the street from my house for 3 years.
I said the hell with AWD lol, this is something that I have always wanted. Anytime you wanna come out and check it out, give me a call.
no 2j no care
4g63 FTMFW, I am going to show all what a 2.0L can really do. Traction will not be a problem anymore. If the ET Streets won't hold,
the Hoosiers will.
get to work matt!!!
Well my back has still pretty much has me cooped up still, whenever it heals up enough, I will be getting alot more done.
Look for alot of progress to take place within this month.

Thanks to all for the positive feedback also...

·
sloooow gt
1,152 Posts
Very nice man. Its always awesome to find something close to home and cheap. Good luck with it

1 - 20 of 75 Posts