Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderhater
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done them? Anyone thinking about building one?

http://www.automotiverigs.com/gallery.html



... been looking at a bunch of setups and reading up on them, seems like a cool idea - although a bit risky in some cases and a bitch to photoshop in other cases
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
They aren't really risky at all, unless you do something stupid. Normally the car never travels more than 5 feet and never goes above a few miles an hour. You can build them where they are actually drivable, but it would require a lot more support than the magnet or suction cup route. I recently added a vertical pole with a tension wire to my setup, similar to the tension wire on the automotive rigs one, but mine is a suction cup rig, not an underbody rig.

The hardest part of rig shots, will always be the photoshopping. I consider myself an expert with photoshop and removing rigs definitely ranks among the harest things I ever have to do. Unless you feel comfortable with being able to remove it, I wouldn't buy one.
 

·
Super Moderhater
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fyi: u dont have to quote the OP - just takes up space

do you have any pics of your setup? and do you just clone stamp the rig out, or do you take one shot without the rig and superimpose it over the shot w/ the rig? (ive heard of both methods, but im just wondering which is more common and which people find to give the best results)
 

·
OG founder
Joined
·
5,386 Posts
How much are those rigs?

Thats pretty insane,
And it doesnt seem like it would be "too" hard to PS those out...
I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
venom_5 said:
fyi: u dont have to quote the OP - just takes up space

do you have any pics of your setup? and do you just clone stamp the rig out, or do you take one shot without the rig and superimpose it over the shot w/ the rig? (ive heard of both methods, but im just wondering which is more common and which people find to give the best results)
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I normally clone/heal/airbrush the rig out. Each shot is different so there is never one set way I do it. I never understood how people take one without the rig and then superimpose it. I mean one slight variation in angle or height going from the tripod to the rig is going to make everything hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Jose-Aka-Pedro said:
How much are those rigs?

Thats pretty insane,
And it doesnt seem like it would be "too" hard to PS those out...
I
The automotiverig one's are a rip off but that's because he realizes people who are too lazy to build their own will be willing to buy it. I made mine for like 300.

And it can be very difficult to photoshop out. It all depends on what background you choose with the suction cup rigs. Like the picture is among the easiest you will find, but the photographer did an awful job editing it out. I can see a big ass black line where he edited the rig out. I've had several backgrounds with converging lines and that means you don't have anything to clone from because their is no where else in the picture where the lines are that far apart. Underbody rigs are a lot easier to photoshop the rig out, but I have heard there are many problems with mounting them on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
dc5ivtec said:
venom_5 said:
fyi: u dont have to quote the OP - just takes up space

do you have any pics of your setup? and do you just clone stamp the rig out, or do you take one shot without the rig and superimpose it over the shot w/ the rig? (ive heard of both methods, but im just wondering which is more common and which people find to give the best results)
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I normally clone/heal/airbrush the rig out. Each shot is different so there is never one set way I do it. I never understood how people take one without the rig and then superimpose it. I mean one slight variation in angle or height going from the tripod to the rig is going to make everything hell.
ok ive got 1 question...why couldnt u just paint the rig green and do the green screen type thing and take it out? like in that girl(skateboarding) video were they just painted the boards green and took them completely out!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
280zx!!! said:
ok ive got 1 question...why couldnt u just paint the rig green and do the green screen type thing and take it out? like in that girl(skateboarding) video were they just painted the boards green and took them completely out!!!
I'm not familiar with what you are referring to, but the color of the rig is irrelevant. I understand what you mean with green screening stuff, but motion blur of a background is a very hard thing to recreate. I suppose you could cgi it with a greenscreen, but that's just way too much work for one rig shot. The easiest thing to do is to use the motion blur from around the rig and clone over it, so that the lines of the motion blur are continuous. The hard part comes in when you have to recreate the subtle gradients of a background. That's something that the picture in the op did not do all that well.
 

·
Drives
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
Right now I am starting on working on a custom rig, made by me of course, that will use my
front and rear tow hook spots. Both position's have just a tow hook that screws in. I will post them up tomorrow.

As for making the rig work I will have to see how big the part that screw in is and then I am in business. Or I could construct
something that can attach to my tow hooks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
no im not refering to green screen but in a skateboarding video they painted all the boards green and some of the ramps green...then did rolling shots were the boards werent even there with the real backgrounds...i dont know how they took the boards out but i guess them being green helped cause they wouldnt have done it for nothing..then at the end of the video they showed how they painted the boards and ramps green so everyone was rolling on green boards...it was funny to see them just huvering around....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
280zx!!! said:
here's the video but its not the full version showing how they done it but you'll get the idea...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DIEM144OB0
O its video. I was thinking it was still photography. I suppose since with video you are working with so many frames that there needs to be an easy way to select whatever part of the picture you need to remove or replace, which is why they painted everything green. When you just have one still photograph that needs a rig to be removed, its just as easy to edit it out had you painted the rig green or had you not. Green screen is a technique I have only seen implemented in video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
dc5ivtec said:
280zx!!! said:
here's the video but its not the full version showing how they done it but you'll get the idea...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DIEM144OB0
O its video. I was thinking it was still photography. I suppose since with video you are working with so many frames that there needs to be an easy way to select whatever part of the picture you need to remove or replace, which is why they painted everything green. When you just have one still photograph that needs a rig to be removed, its just as easy to edit it out had you painted the rig green or had you not. Green screen is a technique I have only seen implemented in video.
i didnt know if it would help or not but they make it look so easy!!! i figured there might be a technique behind it that could be used to help
 

·
Drives
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
Mine will be very simple and not as big as the ones shown in the OP's link, but still figuring thinks out
 

·
Casey
Joined
·
2,027 Posts
Im actually thinking about buying the rig from the OP. I've had their company in mind for over a year now. Just havent had the money to go out and spend something that pricey on photography equipment lately. $800 is kind of high, but for people like me who dont even know how to make something like that, and dont trust suction cups anymore( mine fell off doing 10mph-never again), i rather spend the money on a good rig like that.
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top