Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OG founder
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My wife's cobalt needs some new front speakers.
The car if paid off, so I'm in for the long run with the car.

Stocks have been replaced atleast once. ( Common Issue, cheap gm paper cones get moisture and fail )

This pos car only have 4 speakers. 6.5's in the front doors and 6x9's in the rear deck.

Since the rears are fine, I'm only looking for the front doors.
I plan on installing some Sound Deadener, Dynomat type and also closed foam type material. I'm not looking for anything crazy, but If I can get the intr a little more quite then it's worth it.

Back to the topic, Front Speakers. Their 6.5's (6") and I'm looking for a
decent upgrade. The Headunit is still stock, but maybe not in the future.

I was looking at some speakers and I'm thinking about going with a higher quality 2way than a cheaper 3 way. Like I said I just need something that will play decent music.

I found some JBL 662s speakers that look pretty nice.
Their $150 for the pair from Electronic Express, on ebay about $70 for the pair.

Is there anything better for the ballpark figure of $70 for a pair of front speakers?
I'm going for clarity/loudness, Not bass. A sub in the trunk and compensate for a little bit of bass.

Thanks

·
Resident Douchebag
14,287 Posts
Should be fine for what you're wanting. I would get a head unit and a cheap 4ch amp though. Alpine makes a pretty sweet amp that can fit behind the head unit for about $100-150. Installed one in my boss's work truck and was pretty impressed. I wouldn't even hook them up to the back. Just fade to front and amp the front speakers. It'll sound good, especially with a sub in the back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you are going for clarity...using the stock HU wont help you much IMO. You wont get the full potential of the speaker unless you go aftermarket HU.

·
OG founder
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know, But if I'm going to replace the speakers I figured I would get something
decent for the long run. I will, at some point ( Most likely next year ) replace the headunit.

Should I go with some Pioneer's over the JBL's? For the $80 Price range for 6.5s
I have Pioneer 6x9's that I was going to use in the old e30 but not anymore.
They could go in her rear deck, if I wanted to match up brands.

I'm not real into the Car Audio world, so I don't know which is better. Honestly, I don't think it's going to matter. She just plays Sat. music and sometimes she'll use the Aux. input but it's more Sat. music than anything. Her car has xm.

So with a Headunit in the future, What speakers would you recommend?
I'm willing to buy from ebay if the item is new rather than spend twice as much at
a local brick/mortar store.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Satalac why didn't you hook up the rear speakers to the amp?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm going with a Kenwood x370 double din. Its getting installed Friday. I am not into audio as much as I use to be. My last truck had Alpine HU, mids and highs. Then Alpine (2) v12s with and Rockford amp on those with a Alpine amp on the mids and highs. It was great. Loved all the alpine products. I downsized though to a single 12 after awhile. 2 was too much for a single cab truck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Legalize it!
437 Posts
A 2way is going to be better than any 3way if you want it to sound good. The JBL P662 get great reviews and I like my JBL MS62c comp set a lot. I also like the Polk db651 or 651s if you need the shallow mounting depth. There is also the Focal Integration IC65 for under $100, but I would be a little leery of the potential "brightness" of the tweeter which can cause listening fatigue. There are a few Pioneer speakers that would be worth a look also.

But really most any speaker from above will sound pretty similar on radio power. At higher listening levels the radios amplifier will produce more distortion than any of the above speakers.

I would go this route:
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO628-6-5-Inch-2-Way-Loudspeaker/dp/B003KN2TEY
http://www.amazon.com/MTX-Audio-500...KIKX0DER&s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1385359441&sr=1-18
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI35-Adj...85359693&sr=1-2&keywords=high+level+converter
http://www.amazon.com/American-Acce...8&qid=1385359789&sr=1-15&keywords=8ga+amp+kit

$115

·
Diesel Dick
2,883 Posts
I have two sets of Boston Pro components.... You can't have them for around $70 though. :lol:

IMO if you are using the stock head unit and factory wiring I wouldn't even spend the money on dynamat or any of that stuff. You will never know the difference, especially in a Cobalt.

If you go with any of the name brands I don't think you would be disappointed. I'm personally a fan of Pioneer H/Us and Boston speakers.

·
Resident Douchebag
14,287 Posts
Satalac why didn't you hook up the rear speakers to the amp?
Sound stage. The higher frequencies are directional and your ears hear them better when the sound is in front of you, like at a concert. For the money you spend on putting in rear speakers and amping them, you can buy better speakers for the front and bridge the amp to provide more power to the fronts. The sub provides the lower frequencies which are more omnidirectional so placement isn't as important.

·
Install Tech
3,780 Posts
Jose, personally I would not get those speakers. I have had a lot of bad experince with those "x-overs", and based on what I have heard in different setups, the cheaper versions are just as good if not better. This will be even truer in your case since you do not plan on amping these. Save yourself some $$$ and go with the first level JBL or infinitys since they are practically the same thing too.

·
OG founder
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright thanks guys.

The reason I wanted to do some Sound Deadening wasn't just for the Stereo Equipment. It was also for the road noise.

I'll look around and see what I can find. Any questions I'll throw back in here.

·
Legalize it!
437 Posts
To improve the enclosure (door) for the speaker it needs to be sealed as well as possible. This will help with sound quality, volume, and quieten the car. A bonus is the door sounds more solid when it shuts.

My door (with previous speakers)

·
Legalize it!
437 Posts
Sheet metal, cut out forms with tin snips, a foam gasket around openings with sheet metal screws keeping it all in place, sound dampening on top of that. Some people additionally use MLV to block noise and I will probably do that also at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts