Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner

Should I spray on a stock motor?

To Nitrous, or not to nitrous... THAT is the question

11K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  AaroNX 
#1 ·
Should I use nitrous on my stock motor? People on other forums are getting .5 seconds off their ET's on a stock motor using a 50 shot and colder plugs... what do you guys think?

#4 ·
I am thinking I should... and have logical reasons why I think I should... but I don't (like Zac said) want to use it too often/too much and damage something.

I may just wait until I boost, but I am not sure. This V8 LOVES a little nitrous though, so I don't know yet.

Reason for this thread: A buddy has a full wet kit (filled bottle, 50,75, and 100 shot nozzles, jets, lines, solenoids, fittings) for less than 300 bucks. I am thinking about it... either to get it and keep it until I boost, or get it and see what I can do now. :)

#10 ·
AaroNX said:
redtop240 said:
I don't like nitrous as a form of forced induction. I prefer it only as a supporting mod.
Bet if I took you for a ride you'd change your mind....
Not unless you have the never-ending nitrous mod. I've ridden in a couple. Like this vette I always see at the track. On the bottle he's fast then 3 runs later when he runs out he's pretty average.

#12 ·
redtop240 said:
AaroNX said:
redtop240 said:
I don't like nitrous as a form of forced induction. I prefer it only as a supporting mod.
Not unless you have the never-ending nitrous mod. I've ridden in a couple. Like this vette I always see at the track. On the bottle he's fast then 3 runs later when he runs out he's pretty average.

My cars faster than most NA though, the nitrous is just the GET RIGHT kick lol.

G
#13 ·
nos

AaroNX said:
redtop240 said:
AaroNX said:
redtop240 said:

My cars faster than most NA though, the nitrous is just the GET RIGHT kick lol.

well if i was you i wouldnt get nos beacuse it will tear your moter up and make the rings wear faster and nos can blow up your moter and if you get nos the best nos system to get is the wet shot which this consists of an extra gas shot in to the moter with nos mixed with it when you change out nosels be shure to have a higher shot of gas then nos. say like you have a 75 shot of nos make the gas a 100 shot.

#53 ·
well if i was you i wouldnt get nos beacuse it will tear your moter up and make the rings wear faster and nos can blow up your moter and if you get nos the best nos system to get is the wet shot which this consists of an extra gas shot in to the moter with nos mixed with it when you change out nosels be shure to have a higher shot of gas then nos. say like you have a 75 shot of nos make the gas a 100 shot.

First Nitrous Oxide WILL NOT....and I REPEAT WILL NOT!!!!!!!!!! "wear the rings faster." You could break a ringland in a piston if you don't have it properly tuned. But it will not "wear out the rings"

Second Nitrous if tuned properly WILL NOT Blow up your motor any more than a properly tuned Turbo or Supercharger will.

Third. Your "idea" of having a "higher shot of gas" is spoken my someone who has NO IDEA what they are talking about. Jets for Nitrous systems are not labled "100shot jet" They are labled buy the size of the hole drilled into them. I.E. a 24 thousandths jet would be labled 24. On a wet system the Nitrous jet is actually larger than the fuel jet. I.E. for a 75 Hp "shot" you might use a 41 thousandsths Nitrous Jet and a 24 Thousandths fuel jet. Tuning your nitrous system with a 41 thousandths Nitrous Jet and a 27 thousandths fuel jet will have your system CRAZY rich. Have you ever seen a Nitrous backfire???? Google it. Not to mention you will lose power, wash your cylinder bores with unburnt fuel causing poor ring sealing, if you have cats you will destroy them by rinning so rich and you will ruin your o2 sensors by running that rich.

Please DO NOT give out "advice" if you yourself are clueless. It is people like you that give Nitrous a bad name.

OP if you really want some real Nitrous advice PM me and we can talk.

LOL Just noticed how old this thread was...sorry.

#15 ·
Direct port is the safest, which is what I have.

I'm spraying a 100 shot on a motor that only came with 140 at the crank.

I also think there's too many negative responses from people about nitrous, who have never used it. As long as you do it right and don't get stupid with it, it's perfectly safe. I've been spraying my motor for 6 years.

G
#18 ·
well

AaroNX said:
Direct port is the safest, which is what I have.

I'm spraying a 100 shot on a motor that only came with 140 at the crank.

I also think there's too many negative responses from people about nitrous, who have never used it. As long as you do it right and don't get stupid with it, it's perfectly safe. I've been spraying my motor for 6 years.

ah shit i forgot about direct port injection it is pritty safe though but ill stick wit wet shot

#24 ·
The reason for this thread is to see what you guys think... I have had a boosted GST Eclipse, and only used Nitrous to spool up the big T25/T28 hybrid turbo I had on there, and had it set to disengage when I reached my boost limit. I loved it, and loved the effect.

I am just not so sure running it on a NA motor, and future Supercharged motor.

And I understand what the other guy said about taking that money, and putting it into parts that make power all the time, rather than just with the push of the button.

And I agree... WHY IS THIS SO HARD!!! :twisted: :twisted:

#26 ·
AaroNX said:
For the price you're talking about it'd be stupid not to just try it and see if you like it. That motor should hold it EASILY.
And you are right... people on mustangforums.com are running 75 shots on stock motor, cooler plugs, and some MAF tuning. So it won't be an issue... I just don't know if I want it now, or put that money torwards parts that actually make power all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.