Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 20 of 428 Posts

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My expectations are to have a quick spooling, broad power band kit good for everyday driving if needed, some lower end get up and go, and some top end fun. Looking to get somewhere in the 225 to 250 whp range.

Will be used mainly for spirited street driving, possibly road courses and the occasional drag race.


-Turbo-kits.com Celica GT kit running 8 psi
--Apexi Power FC, Datalogit and 630 injectors upgrade
--Having them weld in a bung for the wideband

-Set of 4 Denso Iridium IK22 (2 steps colder) spark plugs

-AEM TRU-boost gauge and controller

-AEM UEGO Gauge and wideband

-ARP exhaust manifold stud kit

-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump

-Felx-A-Lite engine oil cooler

-Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator

-Magnaflow Race series 14159 muffler

-Custom 3" exhaust system from 1st Chance

-Dyno tune from Carma Performance in Nashville

-OEM exhaust manifold gasket

-OEM intake manifold gasket

-Tube of black Toyota FIPG

-6 quarts Mobile 1 full synth

-3 quarts redline MT-90

-High temp RTV silicone

-Loctite

-Zip Ties




-I already have a Southbend TZ street series kevlar clutch and Fidanza lightweight flywheel

-I already have a 6 speed transmission with polyurethane motor mounts and speed source solid shifter cable bushings



What am I missing, what did I overlook?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
talk to matt s14.5 he had all of the shit for his turbo and then sold it like a dumbass but anywho ask him
 

·
Super Moderhater
Joined
·
12,366 Posts
- im not sure what brand BOV comes with the kit, but if its junk ... then get an HKS SSQV

- youve got a Boost Gauge and Wideband Gauge listed, but what about Oil Pressure and EGT (Pyro)

- Fuel Pressure Regulator necessary?

- Boost Controller (i think its optional on the PowerFC) & Turbo Timer?

thats all i can think of off the top of my head
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
a new motor, t bolt clamps, zip ties, lots of beer, different sizes of vacum hoses, brake upgrade, polyurethane motor mounts, maybe an extra just to keep it cool
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
venom_5 said:
- im not sure what brand BOV comes with the kit, but if its junk ... then get an HKS SSQV

- youve got a Boost Gauge and Wideband Gauge listed, but what about Oil Pressure and EGT (Pyro)

- Fuel Pressure Regulator necessary?

- Boost Controller (i think its optional on the PowerFC) & Turbo Timer?

thats all i can think of off the top of my head
-I'm not sure what brand the BOV is either, I may upgrade if it is junk.
-EGT gauges are not needed if you have a wideband, oil pressure is not needed, but I may get one.
-FPR not needed
-No need for a boost controller, internal wastegate is set at 8 psi, I plan on running 8 psi. I may need one later to up the boost, but not now.
-Already have a turbo timer built into the alarm system
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IH8DSM said:
a new motor, t bolt clamps, zip ties, lots of beer, different sizes of vacum hoses, brake upgrade, polyurethane motor mounts, maybe an extra just to keep it cool
I like my curent motor, only 61,000 miles and great compression.

Kit comes with all clamps, and hoses I got zip ties, I don't drink beer.

Brake pads have been upgraded, but if I can find one I wouldn't mind doing a rear drum to disc swap and some slotted rotors.

Already have poly motor mounts installed.

Maybe an extra what? to keep it cool?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
v3 said:
IH8DSM said:
a new motor, t bolt clamps, zip ties, lots of beer, different sizes of vacum hoses, brake upgrade, polyurethane motor mounts, maybe an extra just to keep it cool
I like my curent motor, only 61,000 miles and great compression.

Kit comes with all clamps, and hoses I got zip ties, I don't drink beer.

Brake pads have been upgraded, but if I can find one I wouldn't mind doing a rear drum to disc swap and some slotted rotors.

Already have poly motor mounts installed.

Maybe an extra what? to keep it cool?
extra fan to keep it cool, you always need spare hoses, and an extra motor for when you blow yours. No motor is bullet proof it can and eventually will happen your in the wrong mind set already
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slow40 said:
fpr is needed if you upgrade fuel pump and injectors
The pump I am getting is a direct drop in replacement, no aftermarket regulator needed.

The Celica uses a returnless fuel system guys.
 

·
Super Moderhater
Joined
·
12,366 Posts
v3 said:
The Celica uses a returnless fuel system guys.


oh yeah ... but in returnless the excess fuel that is pumped still passes thru an FPR to go back to the tank, i thought
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IH8DSM said:
extra fan to keep it cool, you always need spare hoses, and an extra motor for when you blow yours. No motor is bullet proof it can and eventually will happen your in the wrong mind set already
I think the stock cooling system will be fine for the Celica, no extra fans needed.

I'm sure I can aquire hoses if need be

I'm not going to buy an extra motor just to sit in my garage waiting for the current one to fail, the Celica is not my daily driver and can stand to be down for a few weeks while I repair or replace a blown engine.

When did I ever say my motor was bulletproof???
 

·
Mod
Joined
·
19,933 Posts
Adler is just screwing with ya man :wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
v3 said:
IH8DSM said:
extra fan to keep it cool, you always need spare hoses, and an extra motor for when you blow yours. No motor is bullet proof it can and eventually will happen your in the wrong mind set already
I think the stock cooling system will be fine for the Celica, no extra fans needed.

I'm sure I can aquire hoses if need be

I'm not going to buy an extra motor just to sit in my garage waiting for the current one to fail, the Celica is not my daily driver and can stand to be down for a few weeks while I repair or replace a blown engine.

When did I ever say my motor was bulletproof???
never said v3 your motor isnt bullet proof buy another one, i was just saying no motor is bullet proof it will eventually blow up and you gotta keep that in your mind. I guess i just liked the idea of having a spare motor when i was turboing my non turbo motor but shit what do i know. You asked for opinons i gave mine
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
venom_5 said:
oh yeah ... but in returnless the excess fuel that is pumped still passes thru an FPR to go back to the tank, i thought
In the older return-type systems, the fuel pump delivers more fuel to the engine than it actually needs. The excess fuel is then routed back to the fuel tank through a pressure regulator and return line. But in a returnless system, there is no pressure regulator on the fuel supply rail and no return line back to the tank. The regulator is mounted in the fuel tank and is usually part of the fuel pump module.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070214185410AAtzeyg

New pump, new regulator built in, no need for aftermarket regulator.
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IH8DSM said:
never said v3 your motor isnt bullet proof buy another one, i was just saying no motor is bullet proof it will eventually blow up and you gotta keep that in your mind. I guess i just liked the idea of having a spare motor when i was turboing my non turbo motor but shit what do i know. You asked for opinons i gave mine
If and when my motor fails, I'll buy a new one.

No need to waste money on something I don't need yet, or may not need for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
so in a returnless system the fuel gets held in the rail until it gets injected right?
so how do you control the pulse then? or is it with a built in sensor on the rail the ecu reads...?
 

·
no ****
Joined
·
2,708 Posts
didnt u get beat by a stock cobalt? i was there on the interstate coming back from 100 oaks if your car is like silver glowing blue stuff
 

·
O_o
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
slow40 said:
so in a returnless system the fuel gets held in the rail until it gets injected right?
so how do you control the pulse then? or is it with a built in sensor on the rail the ecu reads...?
A returnless system uses the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to regulate fuel delivery. A fuel pressure sensor mounted on the supply rail allows the PCM to monitor fuel pressure. When pressure in the supply rail drops as engine load or speed increase, the PCM compensates by increasing injector duration (on time) and/or the operating speed of the fuel pump.
That goes a bit beyond my knowledge, all I know is that you drop in a new pump, drop in 550 injectors, and plug in a PFC, Then I hand my car over to Carma, they perform some sort of voodoo ritual that involves the sacrifice of small animals and smearing engine oil on your face, and viola everything works.
 
1 - 20 of 428 Posts
Top