Tennessee Car Forums at TennSpeed banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which camera would you guys recommend for me?
I'm not amazing but I'm decent.
I need a camera thats not gonna leave me broke after the purchase.
Thanks

·
Super Moderhater
12,366 Posts
^ what he said

do you want to start off with a Point & Shoot Camera, or an SLR-type camera? ... if you dont know what the difference is, do you have any cameras already?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
venom_5 said:
^ what he said

do you want to start off with a Point & Shoot Camera, or an SLR-type camera? ... if you dont know what the difference is, do you have any cameras already?
I mean i want to get more serious about it. I have worked with a bunch of different cameras. I am looking at a SLR-type cam.
Im just looking for some advice from some of the photographers on the site and maybe some links to some good quality cameras.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
LH-93 said:
venom_5 said:
^ what he said

I mean i want to get more serious about it. I have worked with a bunch of different cameras. I am looking at a SLR-type cam.
Im just looking for some advice from some of the photographers on the site and maybe some links to some good quality cameras.
Canon, Nikon, Sony all make good cameras they are all priced about the same. Get whatever fits your hand best is my advice. I'd stray away from the d40 nikon because of it's limited lenses. But they all do the same thing. I choose canon because I started on a canon point and shoot, and had friends on the canon system as well.

·
Super Moderhater
12,366 Posts
well the 2 big brands that are popular, especially on these boards, are Canon and Nikon - there are others such as Sony, Pentax, etc. but its really a matter of personal preference at this stage

for Nikon, you have the D40 and D60 as entry-level cameras ... they are both good choices, the D60 has a bit more to offer obviously, but the D40 with the 18-55mm kit lens will suit your needs until you are ready to upgrade to a different lens for a different purpose

ill let the Canon guys tell you about the Rebel XTi/XT, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
how about you search through all the other "i have money i want to spend on a camera but don't know enough to know what to get" threads? i mean the info is the same - we'll all tell you the same thing...

or just do some research on your own?

sorry if this comes out harsh, i may just be in bitch mode but geez.

·
OG Inactive phoTOGgrapher
4,582 Posts
LH-93 said:
Thanks
Photography = broke

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Defcon86NWH said:
LH-93 said:
Thanks
Photography = broke
lol.
So i found my aunt who is a photographer just got a new camera and she is giving me her old one.
Its really nice.
Thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
riverdancer said:
how about you search through all the other "i have money i want to spend on a camera but don't know enough to know what to get" threads? i mean the info is the same - we'll all tell you the same thing...

The funny thing about this comment was that you could have given advice and it would not of taken as long as it did to write that.

·
4,582 Posts
Here is the thing we don't know anything about you. What you plan on doing. What your intentions with it in the future.

To many variables that you should have thought about before making this stupid thread./end rant.

·
Registered
125 Posts
LH-93 said:
riverdancer said:

The funny thing about this comment was that you could have given advice and it would not of taken as long as it did to write that.
just as funny as you searching through the threads and saving us all some time? like defcon just said we don't know anything about you, your budget, what you plan on shooting, or how intense you want to get into it.

i guess you have one now and now can search through these threads to find out how to use it?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been shooting Canon for years, so a rebel xti/xsi would be a good choice. You can get an xti for a great price now, and unless you're shooting billboards, you don't really need more than 8mp... in fact, if you can't get the shots you want done in 8mp, you should probably put the camera down.

Lenses are where you'll spend your money. I have a 40d, which I love, but most of the lenses I'm going to buy are going to be more expensive than the camera. Image Stabilization is a KEY factor to a good shot, especially with the ultrasonic motor to help you stay steady... but you pay for them. Read websites, steve's digicam review, hell, GOOGLE the exact model and see what real people have to say about them. Some people will hate and flame, some will praise without any knowledge (just like on here) but then you'll come across a few smart people who really know what they're talking about, and you can save a lot of money that way.

Ebay. You can buy a package, but make sure that ALL the lenses are good. Make sure they're OEM lenses... Stay away from offbrands. But sometimes they'll stick a shit lens in to drive the price up and make it look better... Say, for instance, you buy Canon, and the lens says "Image stabilization" but doesn't say IS-USM anywhere on it, avoid it. RESEARCH EVERYTHING.

Nikon offers a great camera, and their lower end (read: less expensive) cameras are great for someone who's entry level dslr. I'm not as familiar with their products, but I have lots of friends who shoot Nikon, and they like them.

Sony... They're expensive, but they have the best chips of any camera on the market. You generally pay 20% for the Sony brand, but you get a good camera, especially if you get a point-and-shoot. I've used the Alpha, and it was good, but I preferred my 40d over it.

You need to find out what you're looking for, and go for it. Be prepared to NOT have any money left in your pocket, and if you do, you'll be suprised... and you'll owe all of us on here a thank you.

·
Get Busy Living
4,218 Posts
ZacCarter said:
LH-93 said:
venom_5 said:
^ what he said

Canon, Nikon, Sony all make good cameras they are all priced about the same. Get whatever fits your hand best is my advice. I'd stray away from the d40 nikon because of it's limited lenses. But they all do the same thing. I choose canon because I started on a canon point and shoot, and had friends on the canon system as well.
stay away from D40 OR D60, they'll get you in the long run :oops:

·
4,582 Posts
Nothing wrong with a D40 or D60 I was looking at the amount of lenses that are offered and there are plenty out there that could suit your needs. Sigma has plenty in their line up that will auto focus. If you only want a few lenses then a D40 or D60 is perfectly fine for you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts