TennSpeed banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderhater
12,369 Posts
i love this email that the Dean of the School of Engineering just forwarded everyone ... it made me lol:
It has come to our attention that a Microsoft Windows 7 event was held on 10/29/2009. While we do not wish to lessen the enthusiasm for this event, we do wish to assist our community in making an informed decision regarding when is the best time to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7.
Please consider the following.

- Are you willing to risk hurting yourself academically if your computer
is unusable for some period of time? Many stories are available online
describing various types failures with upgrading and/or installing
Microsoft Windows 7.

- Do you have plenty of free time to deal with computer problems if
your mid-semester upgrade or installation fails? In case your attempt
to upgrade to or install Microsoft Windows 7 fails, you should verify
that you have in hand or easy access to all of the media and software
license keys needed to reinstall your current operating system and
software applications. You should back up all of your personal files
before attempting any upgrades or reinstallations.

- Have you verified that the vendors of all of your academics-related
software support their software on Microsoft Windows 7? Many vendors
that we have already checked do not currently support it. It is possible
that the software will run on Microsoft Windows 7, but the vendor will
not help you if you run into difficulties.

- Have you considered whether you will be able to receive support after
upgrading to Microsoft Windows 7? Our TransIT support center is only
prepared to help you with issues involving the original operating system
that came installed on your computer.

We recommend that you do not install Microsoft Windows 7 until you are content that you have properly addressed the concerns listed above.
paranoid much?

M

·
0 Posts
Probably just tryin to prevent the whole " my comp died so I don't have my lab report etcetc"

·
Super Moderhater
12,369 Posts
its a school of engineering, if people dont kno how to backup they can gtfo

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well after 3.75 hours of downloading yesterday I'm now upgraded to Windows 7. I paid $32.76 with tax for the student upgrade and it was well worth it.
The only thing that sucked was that I had to uninstall my Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 since it wasn't compatible w/7. Fortunately downloading the 2010 version worked just fine and I was able to use my old registration key. Other than that, this shit's awesome!
IMHO all of the following are the best for Windows 7 32-Bit and 64-Bit. They're also completely FREE.

The best Windows 7 anti-virus: Avira Antivir - http://www.free-av.de/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

Best firewall: Comodo Firewall (Available in native 64-Bit)- http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=firewall

Best all-in-one: Comodo Internet Security (Available in native 64-Bit)- http://www.comodo.com/home/download/download.php?prod=cis

·
Super Freq
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
AVG Free's doing a pretty good job for me.

If it fails me, I'll try out that Avira program ;)

·
Super Moderhater
12,369 Posts
AVG never fails ... had it on my desktop since i built it and never had a virus-related problem

·
X Honda Junkie
2,907 Posts
i just got this os installed yesterday and i am impressed with it. it speed shit up on my system. i got the upgrade system from gateway it was free with the purchase of my laptop a couple months back and they surprised the shit out of my they sent it with the drives on disc for windows 7 too. lol i was expecting issues with finding them.

·
Super Freq
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Any laptop/desktop running Vista purchased between June 30th, 2009 and January 10th, 2010 should be elligable for a free Windows 7 upgrade.

I know HP, Toshiba, Acer (Gateway + eMachines), Azus, and Dell are participating...

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I told my dad over and over again to wait to get my new laptop but he couldn't stand it and had to get it on my birthday (April 15th).

·
Yes, I drive a Barbie car
4,387 Posts
I had the free upgrade, but then my laptop went to shit so I took it back to best buy and they replaced it with one that already had Windows 7 on it.

So far I really like it. Everything is smooth and easy.

Seems to mee that they are trying more and more to become like Mac's OS

·
Registered
596 Posts
Man I tried using Mac OS like 2 days ago. Damn was I lost. I couldn't even figure out how to get the damn pop up menu to come up. Kept trying to find a way to scroll through stuff without having to revert to the arrow icons, thought programs where closing when I clicked on the X, was wondering where the rest of the mouse buttons were, among other things.

I used to own a Mac a long time ago too, lol. Not blaming it on the OS, it's just I'm so used to using Windows or Linux.

I like to do stuff super quick on my computers. I'm constantly switching window to window, switching throuh tabs, opening and closing programs/windows/tabs. I rely so much on my handy right hand that I feen for many buttons and scroll wheels on my mice lol.

So, coming from a Mac OS newb like me, Windows 7 and Mac OS are nothing alike.

PS. I do know about the technical and feature similarities, I speak only of my user experience with both OS.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Installed 7 Enterprise 64bit last night on my toshiba laptop, I like everything so far. Of course my system is running alot faster cause I did a fresh install. Also happy that Megatune and DSMlink tuning software works.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts